Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:13 AM

Default A10s raise on the button, don\'t even flop a draw

No read on anyone at the table, 3rd hand that I played and it went the exact opposite of how I would have liked. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. MP2 calls, MP3 calls, I am on the button and raise. BB and everyone else calls.

Flop:

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everyone checks and I check

Turn:

J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everyone checks, I bet, mp2 calls

River:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

mp2 checks, I bet, he calls and shows me AJo.

Two questions, with the texture of that flop should I not have backed down and bet it? Secondly, when it gets to the river heads up and is checked to you, is it worth it to try to bluff. I had a feeling he was going to call me, but I figured that the only possible way to win this pot was bet. Is it better off to surrender the hand or make a last ditch effort at stealing? Should I even have raised in the first place with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: A10s raise on the button, don\'t even flop a draw

Bet the flop not the turn.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-13-2005, 02:17 AM

Bet the flop looking for a free river.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:19 AM

I would bet the flop so I could most likely see the river card for free. The way you played it, I like the river bet. You are getting 6:1, and I would think there is a better than 1/7 chance he called the turn with a flush draw and would fold.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the flop so I could most likely see the river card for free. The way you played it, I like the river bet. You are getting 6:1, and I would think there is a better than 1/7 chance he called the turn with a flush draw and would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, he has ace high.....

-SmileyEH
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 AM

If he has a busted flush draw then the bet is bad unless he paired up AND will fold the pair to a bet fairly often. Or if he'll fold a better As, but I find that holding (and folding) to be less likely also.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Several years ago Sklansky had a quiz on find the biggest mistake, the answer was failing to raise ATs after some limpers. So good raise.

Betting the flop and representing the King will take down the pot here a decent amount of the time. If you are called in one spot, fire again on the turn as there are numerous gutshots limpers can have (JT, QT, QJ).

Your river play is a serious leak. Check down an ace unimproved on the river almost always. If you opponent called the turn with a pair, most of the time he is calling the river. You have an ace to showdown if he picked up some draw (ie T8 or flush draw).