Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Ethical question....

Home cash game, very low stakes, NL tourney style. I'm sitting directly across from a guy who deals sloppy and I can almost always see hte burn cards as he burns them for each street.

Say something or "that's just poker" ?

I don't think it ever helped me a single time the whole night anyway... I mean it COULD have been a huge help, given the right circumstances.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Ethical question....

tell him to show each burn you see.
youll look like a saint and hell look like some sort of sloppy dealer
Old 07-09-2005, 04:42 AM

if you say something, thats very nice of you and works to your advantage in a couple ways. 1) it gives you the image of a friendly player that you can use to crush people later and 2) it may calm down the super-agressive players by reminding them that it is, indeed, a friendly game... honestly, i doubt either of these will happen though.

but if you dont say anything, it is by no means a malevolent action. if you are going out of your way to see the burn cards, then i would say that is unethical, but if they are in your line of sight then its fair game imo. think about it, if you were sitting at a table with a player who had a habit of turning his holecards over on the table to take a look at them, would you not look at them too? you definitely would, and you wouldnt be wrong for doing it.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:44 AM

If your position at the table allows you to repeatedly see burn cards that no one else can see, your failure to say anything to rectify this situation makes you a pretty lowly character.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Well, I guess I would have tried to restrain myself from looking, maybe even gone as far as to say something, if it was a friend or acquintence. LOL Too bad it didn't pay off anyways...