Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: I\'ll put you all-in

[ QUOTE ]
It’s a cheap angle. I find this used a lot by the same clowns who don’t want to show their cards first when called, or only want to show one.

I’m under no obligation to tell you how much I have in front of me. It’s up to the bettor to specify an amount and place a bet. My response to “I’ll put you all in” “how much are you betting exactly?” When they say “All that you have” I respond, “How much is that exactly? What is your bet?, Are you going all in?” If they ask how much I have, I respond by pointing at my stack and saying “this much, what is your bet?”

BTW in major tournaments “I’ll put you all in” is not a legitimate bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like an ass. How do you even find a game?

If I want to put you all in, and you gave me that stupid response I would ask the dealer for a chip count. (Are you just trying to slow the game down?)

"I’m under no obligation to tell you how much I have in front of me." technically you don't have to count your own chips if you don't want too but you are obligated to allow the dealer to count your chips at anytime during the tournament upon request.

Sotoo summarize: You sound like an ASS!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m under no obligation to tell you how much I have in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect, my friend.

Even if you were right, that attitude in my home game would guarantee you didn't cross my threshold again.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m under no obligation to tell you how much I have in front of me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain please. Is this a house rule for your game? If it is, does this mean (hypothetically) that I can regulary ask every player for a chip count? It is my understanding that the original quote is correct. In a tourney, the dealer has the ultimate responsibility for counting the chips. Whenever I am in a home game and another player asks me how many chips I have, I give a standard answer, "about a million, give or take." Since this would be incorrect, according to you, what recourse of action do you take?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I am in a home game and another player asks me how many chips I have, I give a standard answer, "about a million, give or take."

[/ QUOTE ]

And you got invited back? (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

The correct course of action is to count your chips, and give the total. If you can't, I'm sure another player will be happy to do so for you.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:03 PM

The host finds it humorous, so I keep get invited back. I guess when I say it with a smile on my face it makes it better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Seriously, I've found that the players that even ask that question are usually the ones that do a lot of talking and posturing. I mean really, the chips are sitting there just a few feet away from you. Why do you need that player to count his chips, why can't you just count them yourself? That's what I do.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Technically you can never put someone all in. Thet have the option to fold their hand. What are you going to do move your opponents chips in yourself LOL

The only action someone can take at the table is Check, Bet, Raise, Fold, or Call. You can never make some Call you bet all in.
[ QUOTE ]
Hi.

In my home game some people like to say "I'll put you all-in" when playing HU vs a shorter-stack, rather than just "All-in". Is this acceptable in cardrooms?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The host finds it humorous, so I keep get invited back. I guess when I say it with a smile on my face it makes it better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Seriously, I've found that the players that even ask that question are usually the ones that do a lot of talking and posturing. I mean really, the chips are sitting there just a few feet away from you. Why do you need that player to count his chips, why can't you just count them yourself? That's what I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen countless threads here and at other forums about a player going all-in, only later to find out that the chip count was incorrect. Asking a player to confirm his chip count is not only within the rules, but is also a good idea to prevent any disputes later on.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM

"I put you all in" is not the same as "I bet the amount you have in front of you" or Just bet enough so that if he calls he/she will be all in.

Saying "I put you all in" implies you are making his call/bet for him/her which is improper.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this acceptable in cardrooms?

[/ QUOTE ]Why wouldn't it be? Is it unclear? Is it an angle? I agree that it's a tiny bit dramatic, but that's all. It'll put the last of the small-stack's chips in the middle, but the way I see it, that's the small-stack's fault, not the raiser's. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:20 PM

From Robert’s rules of Poker - PROCEDURES

“19. Any player is entitled to a clear view of an opponent’s chips. Higher denomination chips should be easily visible.”

Please notice it says “clear view” not “count”

Please show me in Robert’s or in the TDA tournament rules where you “have every right” to an opponent’s chip count
Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From Robert’s rules of Poker - PROCEDURES

“19. Any player is entitled to a clear view of an opponent’s chips. Higher denomination chips should be easily visible.”

Please notice it says “clear view” not “count”

Please show me in Robert’s or in the TDA tournament rules where you “have every right” to an opponent’s chip count

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you were right, that attitude in my home game would guarantee you didn't cross my threshold again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's OK I prefer to play with people who play by the rules.