Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Moving to Vegas.....questions..

Moving to Vegas in a few weeks to play live full time, and have only been 5 times, usually weekends. I realize that game selection will be the biggest factor in my success/failure. A few Questions:

(1) Can someone characterize the general # players to the flop and aggressiveness of (a) Bellagio 15/30 (b) Bellagio 30/60 (c) Mirage 10/20 (d) Mirage 20/40? (Nighttimes and weekends only)

(2) My new roommate has a house that is 1/2 a block from a bus stop in the suburbs. I am coming carless, but with the monorail, etc, I think that public transportation should be able to cover my commutes from burbs to Mirallagio. Anyone familiar with this?

Background: Poker has been my only source of income for the last 14 months or so.

Lately, however, I have tired of internet poker and the threat of cops busting up the underground poker parlors every time I play here in Indy.

Therefore, at the end of the month, I am moving to Vegas, but with a VERY small bankroll. Only have 400BB for 10/20 and plan on playing that or 15/30 till the bankroll improves.

(3) Games here in Indy are generally 4-6 to the flop and contain 1 or 2 solid players per game. Can someone compare this to the Vegas game makeup. I.E should I expect 4 or 5 winning players per table at these levels? (All my Vegas trips showed extremely soft tables up to 30/60, but these are mostly weekends only)

(4) Any place besides Mirallagio to play at 10/20 and higher? Tried the Nugget during the WSOP, was like 2 to flop which I didn't enjoy.

Thanks for help/advice!
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Moving to Vegas.....questions..

Well this generalization is probably handy: Vegas has a far tougher field of players in general then possibly anywhere else in the world.

And play at night/graveyard hours, daylight is generally much tougher.

All I know on the matter, sorry.

>Trainwreck<

At least I bumped ya! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 AM

The only poker advice I can give is forget about playing with the regulars. Seek out and find the tourists. Which means play most of your time on the weekends and in the evenings. Game Selection #1 factor.

Resign yourself to riding the bus. The monorail is priced expensively to discourage making it public transportation or an alternative commute, it is for the tourists.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM

Generally, the games you are interested in, Bellagio 15/30 and 30/60 and Mirage 10/20 and 20/40 are best on Thursday night through Sunday night. Average about 4 to see the flop. You will have to spend some time in these rooms to know who the regulars are, which regulars you can exploit and which to aviod. You will occasionally find some very good tables and some very bad tables. On average these games are very beatable, but not as much so as the same games in the L.A. area.

As for transportation, you really should look to get a car ASAP. I have not used the bus before, but I would imagine the bus schedule will not coincide with prime time poker hours (late night and early morning). The tram is not anywhere near being widespread enough or cheap enough to be a regular viable option.

Other rooms with 10/20 or higher that I have played at include The Orleans, Mandalay Bay, Golden Nugget, and the Horseshoe. I spend most of my time at Bellagio and have not been around to many other places in some time. There is always rumors of new card rooms opening, so maybe there are some other games out there that I am unaware of.

Good luck to you and maybe I will run into you.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:40 PM

I would agree with paragraph 1, seek out visitors and weak games if you are trying to make a living at it.

However, if you cannot afford to drive a car in Las Vegas to get to the games you want to play or to switch from place to place looking, you probably should not move there.

The public transportation is NOT good and can add hours to your day if you miss a connection.

Cars are cheap and parking is free. Consider it an operating expense.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you cannot afford to drive a car in Las Vegas to get to the games you want to play or to switch from place to place looking, you probably should not move there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is he supposed to be driving to? The games he would be playing in are at the Bellagio and Mirage. You can't count on 10-20 or higher anywhere else during non-tournament times.

You can walk from the Bellagio poker room to the Mirage poker room faster than you can drive from one place to the other. Crawling might even be faster than driving.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only have 400BB for 10/20 and plan on playing that or 15/30 till the bankroll improves.

[/ QUOTE ]

With only 8K and no other income I would be very careful.
You can run through that in days at 10/20 if the cards turn cold. With not much cushion I would think about playing lower and scouting the big games and big players.

[ QUOTE ]
I am coming carless

[/ QUOTE ]
Not having a car really worries me. Its not the transportant issue I'm talking about. You will get around fine after you meet some people and make friends. The problems is your bankroll. How many times do you see a guy build up his roll and buy a car. Next the cards turn cold and he is cussing that damn car and selling it at a huge loss. You need a 50K roll and buy a 5K car.

Don't give up internet poker. You give up too much in the way of game selection and the chance to multi-table. Weekday live games may not be the best place to play everyday.