Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Math Degrees and Careers

Thank you for the reply. I am currently on winter break of my junior year as an undergrad. I just recetly (about 1 month ago) decided I wanted to become an econ college professor instead of going into actuarial science. I am a little worried about what grad schools I will be able to get into. I only had a 3.5 gpa because that is considered 'good' for an actuarial science undergrad, and with a 3.5 and 1-2 of the actuarial exams passed I would have no trouble finding a good job coming out of school. So I have never really put any effort into school because I was never really interested/passionate about it, I just kind of showed up went though the motions and squeeked by with a 3.5. I have a 4.0 thus far in all econ classes and roughly a 3.75 in all math and stat classes. I know I will do well on the enterance exams to grad school and will have good letters of recomendation, but I am a little worried that having 'only' a 3.5 this far will hurt me when trying to get into a good school. The next 3 semesters should be pretty easy and should be able to bump up the gpa somewhat. I have talked to an econ professor at my school who I really like and he said that a 3.5 wont hurt me very much, but I am still a little worried I won't be able to get into as good of a school as I would like becuase of it. From your experience do you think that will hurt me? I will deffinitly be taking introduction to annalysis, intro to econometrics, economic forcasting, advanced micro and macro (600 masters level), possibly differential equations and advanced calculus if you/others think they are benificial. Thanks again