Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM

Default General question regarding how to play tournament PLO

I'm a relatively inexperienced PLO player, but I enjoy the game. I am wondering if anybody can provide some guidelines for playing tournament pot-limit Omaha, especially with regards to preflop play and blind-stealing.

Typically when I play PLO cash games, I am reasonably loose-passive preflop and TAG from flop on. I raise almost no hands (including AAxx or KKxx) preflop, and I don't take many stabs at the pot without a big hand or a big draw (meaning I may bet at a flop with an unimproved overpair, but I check-fold to any later action).

What adjustments do I need to make when playing in a tournament, especially as the blinds increase and the stacks become shallow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: General question regarding how to play tournament PLO

As for cash games with deep stacks, I would raise preflop from late position with strong hands not limited to AAxx and KKxx. Reraise with AA if you can get a large portion of the money in preflop.

In tournaments, when the money becomes shallow enough that your stack will be smaller than the pot after a raise, I raise pot with a variety of strong hands depending on the circumstances.

Almost always reraise with AA. If the original raiser is loose, reraise with any real strong hand.

If the money is fairly deep, I would generally call a raise with a rundown, figuring the raiser has a big pair. I would also call or reraise with most strong hands, but I would not automatically limp/call like a lot of the loose passives.

A lot of people play tournaments loose passive preflop even with shallow money, but that is not optimal. I generally play fairly tight aggressive preflop with deep money and very tight aggressive with shallow money.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: General question regarding how to play tournament PLO

you pretty much read my mind. Ive only played in about 35 or so PLO tourneys but often times ill get to about 1-2 double ups, and then find myself stuck. A few times I've been healthy with like 50 left but never end up cracking the final table. I know part of it is playing too tight, but its just a lot harder to limp a lot of hands in higher blinds, and with no antes and people calling a ton of hands, its hard and less important to steal. So I would also apprecaite any advice on this issue