Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Is ND really deserving for BCS

[ QUOTE ]
Notre Dame 9-3 in 1998 and 2000 under Bob Davie...ND fans drinking the kool-aid and calling him the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne. 1997, 1999, 2001 they go 7-6, 5-7, 5-6 respectively. ND fans calling for Davie's head.

[/ QUOTE ] Davie was winning with Holtz's players and it took him a few years to figure out recruiting. By the time he did the hook was out. I think Davie would have been alright if he could have found someone to run the offense.

[ QUOTE ]
2002- ND goes 10-3 under Ty Willingham...ND fans again drinking the kool-aid. Ty is a gift from God himself.

[/ QUOTE ]This has already been discussed in the is Charlie Weis worth 10 years thread, but this team was doing it with smoke and mirrors. There were a few ND fans who got off their rocker, like I said earlier in this thread ND fans and Yankee fans are pretty much the same. But anyone who looked at that year could not have expected anything out of ND in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
2005 - The Irish are having a great season and ND fans are drinking the kool-aid yet again. All images of Knute Rockne in and around the stadium have been replaced with larger images of Charlie Weis. The Irish then get smoked 41-9 in a bowl game again by another school with the initials OSU.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can't see the difference between this team and past Notre Dame teams you are out of your mind. If you can't understand how they will be able to recruit some of the best QB prospects in the nation you are just a moron. Brady Quinn went from working for UPS and maybe getting a shot as a free agent to possibly being a top ten pick next year. Yea, they will never be able to recruit. I can't imagine anyone will want to go there.

I'm not sure how these OSU fans think they can score 41, but I'll save that argument for when this game actually gets set.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:17 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of the BCS is to select two teams to play in the National Championship game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the 2 best and deserving teams to play in the NC game.

Well they've certainly screwed that up the last 2 years.

b
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The purpose of the BCS is to select two teams to play in the National Championship game.

[/ QUOTE ] The purpose of the BCS is to make the most money possible for the conferences involved. It serves no other purpose.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are losing 12 starters and they can't recruit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow do you not know what you are talking about.

If Weis stopped recruiting today, he would still have a consensus top 3 class.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I really hate the BCS.

I am a ND fan. I know it's like being a Yankee fan. And I hate Yankee fans, so I try not to be one. So I am pretty conflicted by this. Does ND deserve to be in a BCS game? The answer, "It doesn't matter."

I've always had a problem with the no playoff in college football. I had hoped that some constant bitching by writers and fans would get something done. Then I heard an interview with the Big East Chairman. He explained why there would never be a tournament. Simply 2/3 of the schools in a conference would have to vote to move from bowls to a tournament. None of them would. Because every time a team makes a bowl game the whole conference splits the money. So a teams like Baylor, Duke and Vandy get a part of $14.5 millon every year. They don't want a playoff they would never see a dime. Yes, I know the better educated college football fan knows this.

Here is the way I look at it. If a team like Oregon or Auburn is pissed that ND will get a BCS bid before them the first place they have to look is straight in the mirror. If the BCS was created to make the most money then you can't spin around and say that the best team deserves to get in to a BCS game.

Notre Dame makes the most money for the Bowl they are in. Every year they qualify they should get a BCS bid. No matter if the only people they played were Navy, Airforce, Army and BYU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Sluss. The problem is the BCS, not ND. Its easy to hate them, because they do get special treatment and are overrated. But there are reasons, as you noted, and its not the fault of ND that they are well liked across the country and treated accordingly. This wouldn't be a problem in a playoff system.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone think tOSU or Penn State would crush ND? Notre Dame was a reggie bush push away from beating the #1 team in the nation. So for what possible reason can you think that a 5th or 6th ranked team would destroy them? I am thinking it has to be anti-ND bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because USC is not that good either. Texas will crush USC.

Back to Notre Dame--forget that they almost beat USC. Please list their quality wins.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
The BCS was established to determine the national champion for college football while maintaining and enhancing the bowl system that's nearly 100 years old. The BCS has quickly become a showcase for the sport, matching the best teams at the end of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are losing 12 starters and they can't recruit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow do you not know what you are talking about.

If Weis stopped recruiting today, he would still have a consensus top 3 class.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup

web page
Old 12-01-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't see the difference between this team and past Notre Dame teams you are out of your mind. If you can't understand how they will be able to recruit some of the best QB prospects in the nation you are just a moron. Brady Quinn went from working for UPS and maybe getting a shot as a free agent to possibly being a top ten pick next year. Yea, they will never be able to recruit. I can't imagine anyone will want to go there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me a moron all you want. I am well aware of the '06 recruiting class. This isn't basketball. One recruiting class does not turn a college football program around. We'll see how the recruiting goes next year when ND loses game after game because their receivers and 80% of the offensive line are gone.

I'll say it again. You cannot win consistently if you don't have the talent on the field. I don't care who's coaching. I may be wrong, but I won't believe it until I see them put a few consecutive winning seasons together.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. They played one of the greatest college games in recent memory, and, hung with the best team in college football, if Reggie Bush doesn't help Leinart across the goaline, they beat the best team in college football. They are more then deserving, and they will be in the title game next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to bet? I'll lay you 2-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give him 10-1.