Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Biggest busts ever, NFL / MLB / NBA

[ QUOTE ]
Heisman Trophy means you were the <font color="red"> best </font> college football player. This guy is a bum now is all I am saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heisman Trophy means you were the <font color="red"> most popular/celebrated </font> college foolball player.

So, let's say he now is sucessful outside of pro football. A bum?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also no one has mentioned Eric Crouch...

[/ QUOTE ]

He was mentioned, and fairly early at that. He is not a bust ... he was not realistically projected to be an NFL starter at any position. He could have hung on as a scrub receiver, but he shined that on.

How about Michael Olowokandi?

Baseball is very hard to determine the huge busts: Other sports draft players who then have to get in the mix right away to justify the hype and big rookie contracts. Thus, we get to see a lot of busts in basketball and football (especially at the "skill" positions).

With that said, (and as mentioned before) Brien Tayor and Van Poppel are good choices. However, there are tons more just like them.

So, I think for baseball, you need a rookie or 2nd year player that comes in, does well and raises everyone's expectations ... then busts out.

Like: Raul Mondesi; Jose Offerman; Joe Charbonneau; Mark Fidrych, etc.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM

NFL: Toss up between Art Schleister and Cryin Leaf, with the Boz not far behind. Mandarich is in the top 5, but everyone forgets he actually started for the Colts for a couple of years late in his career. Look up Schleister's stats and record - they're worse than Leaf's. My honorable mention here is Trev Alberts. And the worst end of the first round pick ever is Dimitrius Underwood

NBA: Chris Washburn -- way bigger bust than Bowie. Shawn Respert is my honorable mention.

MLB: Ben McDonald -- it's too bad that LSU's jackass manager pitched him every game of the CWS, and ruined his career.

Sport: The XFL
Old 10-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Location: I like to tell others what is important in their world. I will bump a post if I deem it worthy

[ QUOTE ]
NFL: Toss up between Art Schleister and Cryin Leaf, with the Boz not far behind. Mandarich is in the top 5, but everyone forgets he actually started for the Colts for a couple of years late in his career. Look up Schleister's stats and record - they're worse than Leaf's. My honorable mention here is Trev Alberts. And the worst end of the first round pick ever is Dimitrius Underwood

NBA: Chris Washburn -- way bigger bust than Bowie. Shawn Respert is my honorable mention.

MLB: Ben McDonald -- it's too bad that LSU's jackass manager pitched him every game of the CWS, and ruined his career.

Sport: The XFL

[/ QUOTE ]

Joey Lawrence failed miserably as a Pop artist
Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 PM

So many to choose from over the past few years, mostly because of sports media wanting to claim that everyone is the next big thing . . . I apologize to Charger fans in advance (this still probably brings back painful memories): Ryan Leaf
My reasons?
1)San Diego traded two first round picks, a second round pick and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf so they could move up and draft him.
2)In three years, Leaf started 18 games, posting a record of 4-14 and a 48.8 quarterback rating.
3)Other players taken after Leaf include Takeo Spikes, Charles Woodson, Randy Moss, Samari Rolle, Stephen Alexander, Ahman Green, Brian Griese, Hines Ward, Az-Zahir Hakim, Lance Shulters, and a dozen or so O and D linemen that have been solid starters for several years.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did win the Heisman Trophy and where is he now? At home baking cookies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when have Heisman trophy winners had successfull NFL carreers?

2004 Matt Leinart USC (Quarterback)
2003 Jason White Oklahoma (Quarterback)
2002 Carson Palmer Southern California (Quarterback)
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska (Quarterback)
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State (Quarterback)

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin (Running Back)
1998 Ricky Williams Texas (Running Back)
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan (Cornerback)
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida (Quarterback)
1995 Eddie George Ohio State (Running Back)
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado (Running Back)
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State (Quarterback)
1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Quarterback)
1991 Desmond Howard Michigan (Wide Receiver)

1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young (Quarterback)
1989 Andre Ware Houston (Quarterback

Last 16 heisman winners I see: Leinart, 4 stars, 2 guys who hung around the league &amp; 9 guys who had forgetable NFL carrers.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:35 AM

As somebody who watched Ryan Leaf's whole career at WSU, his bust was so sad, and didn't need to happen.

If there was any player who needed to sit on the bench for a year or two, it was Ryan.

Physically he was far superior to Manning, but he wasn't bright, and anybody who saw him play knew that.

I'll echo what Jack said about baseball. It's just hard to call anybody a bust. Especially pitches, who by the very nature of what they do risk "busting" via injury.

There's a lot of NBA busts, mostly because people fetishize tall players who aren't very good.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 AM

Drew Henson, not because he was super high profile, but because he did it in two different sports. Ouch. All that hype and we get 2/3 of a season at Michigan, a Big Ten tri-championship, some crappy years in the minors, and bench warming in the NFL. OTOH, the nice thing for him is he's completely failed in both sports, and unless he has no financial sense, he's set for life. Must be nice.