Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Maniac to your left.

Maniac to your left.
- I know this is a very difficult and abstract question. But I hope some of you pro's can help me.

I usually play no-limit cash games. But yesterday I played in a 10$ no-limit re-buy tourney. My table was pretty good; too much cold calling ye know. This table would be a dream to play in, if it was a normal cash game.
The problem was the player to my left, he was a maniac. Not a good player but not a very bad player (he was capable of folding). Every time he sensed a little weakness he would attack. Those players, as you all know, will fast be kicked out of the tourney or they will develop a large chip lead. Well, that was the situation with the player to my left, he had a large chip lead.

In the early stages of a tourney I play only very strong hands, or hands with a high bet-ability, like pairs or suited connectors. But this player made it impossible to play drawing hands, he would either bet preflop 4-5 times BB or postflop with at least the pot.

In a normal cash game I would just switch seats, but here I was stucked behind this player.

How do you handle those players?

How would you play medium strength hands like A9o or KTs? Normally I would never call 5*BB preflop because I know that I wouldn't call a pot raise if I got top pair with those hands.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Maniac to your left.

A9o? KTs? foldddddd unless in LP, in which case i'd be raising and trying not to look weak to the crazy guy.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you play medium strength hands like A9o or KTs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy. I wouldn't.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Sort of depends on the hour. In the first hour, during rebuys, the maniac's range is enormous. You can do a search for threads on playing the rebuy hour. You should take a stand with hands you might consider folding when you can't rebuy- you know he is.

After the break, I think I'd be looking for a situation where I can represent some weakness and try to stack him with a medium large hand pre-flop or check-raise him post-flop. If he's overplaying his hands, he will eventually run into a wall- ideally it's your wall. But you should also be able to get him to commit too many chips to his marginal holdings, before he releases.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:43 AM

Yes, that was what I did. And since I couldn't play 77 or JTs, I only played hands like AK - AJ maybe ATs and of cause big pairs.

You wanna know the result?
I was blinded out!
AK don't come along that often. And if the flop is rags, AK can only be used to semibluff or fold. This player would often re-raise any bet.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, that was what I did. And since I couldn't play 77 or JTs, I only played hands like AK - AJ maybe ATs and of cause big pairs.

You wanna know the result?
I was blinded out!
AK don't come along that often. And if the flop is rags, AK can only be used to semibluff or fold. This player would often re-raise any bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly the fact that you were blinded out in one specific tournament means that you should play A9o in EP with a maniac behind.

It happens.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 AM

Fold those hands, even in the abcense of the maniac, but if he loves to come over the top with speculative holdings dont be so kind to let him know when you have a premium hand. Limp it and then come over the top. Once you have done it they usually get a bit more honest. And if he pays attention you may be able to make a move or two in him

Stokken
Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the fact that you were blinded out in one specific tournament means that you should play A9o in EP with a maniac behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice! I will start doing that.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do a search for threads on playing the rebuy hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll do that
[ QUOTE ]
You should take a stand with hands you might consider folding when you can't rebuy- you know he is

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, here is a common situation.
I'm SB with KTs, it is folded to me. I raise 4*BB, He re-raise the pot(!) I re-re-raise, he goes all-in. He did that all the time! He Could have 32o or Ax. I wouldn't risk the whole tourney with a KTs.
What whould you(or anyone else) do here?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM

I wonder... what was his screenname?