Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM

Default JJ - a small overpair hand and a funky line - $200 NL

My only read on villain is that he has been raising more than his fair share of pots since I sat down. Folded to him in CO or on button seemed like an auto raise.

On the flop I decided to mix it up because there aren't many hands that he can have there to play a huge pot with me. So I elected to let him bet at it one time.

On the turn I usually go for a check raise here.. but 1. I didn't think he'd bet enough to make it correct and 2. I felt like a hand like AT will look me up a lot.

How do you guys like this line?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($173.09)
MP ($203.70)
Button ($566.85)
Hero ($249.95)
BB ($363.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $21</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $14.

Flop: ($46) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($116) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $192.95 (All-In)
Old 12-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: JJ - a small overpair hand - $200 NL

hmm.. instinctively, i really like this play on the turn.

let's just hope he's got AK-AJ and not the set/overpair.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 PM

I don't think I like the check/call...I'd prefer to lead out on the flop, fold to a raise.

As played, you can't distinguish between an over pair or AK...which means you end up pushing on the turn (like you did) pretty much in the dark. As well, if villain checked behind, alot of cards could have been dangerous.

And thirdly, what is calling your push that you have beat? AT maybe?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 PM

The flop is so draw heavy that I didn't feel comfortable with a bet/fold to raise line.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: JJ - a small overpair hand and a funky line - $200 NL

What worse hand do you see calling your turn bet? AdKd?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Do you really think AT will look you up here after you 3-bet preflop? I really don't. The board is full of draws and you reraised preflop, so not leading here looks very fishy. Seems like by taking this line you aren't getting called by anything that you beat, and getting called often when way behind. Sure, you are shutting possible draws out on the turn, but you are making them play right by folding, instead of letting them make a mistake. I don't like it.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:50 PM

Ghazban.. clearly I'm not getting a lot of value with this bet. He seemed bad-ish lag, so I do feel I get called by a big draw without correct odds and also by an ace-ten.

Alternatively, the pot is large and taking it down with a 1.6x pot sized all in with a very vulnerable -- but probably best -- hand is far from a terrible proposition.

I'm quite interested in getting your feedback as to how you would play it.

I think the standard line is bet flop and check raise turn all in if called. But I still go broke if he's got something big.. and I've given him a chance to check behind on the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:03 PM

If you checkraise the flop, you can push a brick turn for a lot less yet still give a flush bad odds to chase. If the flop gets checked through, you have enough money behind to not have to play for stacks. You can bet or checkraise a brick turn and/or river without committing yourself.

It looks to me like you made the turn overbet because you didn't want to make a decision on the river when your stack would be small compared to the pot size. To prevent this, size your earlier bets (all the way back to the preflop reraise) in such a way that you don't have that problem.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 PM

I think it's an interesting line. As you played, how about check raise all in on turn.

Lag usually fire twice with draws or random pair T or 8s, right? Let him make a crying call. Vs your line, if he has you beat on turn, you lost same amount but you get more from his bluffing or crying call with AT etc.

If he check behind, depends on river card, sometimes I check call sometimes I blocking bet.

You reraise PF and all in on turn is too strong for him to call you with AT I think.

I might be totally off here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 PM

You don't think check-raising the flop and folding to a 3 bet all-in is a little nasty on this Td 8d x board?