Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Default home poker cash NL

whats a good way to play home poker Cash NL game, the consensus is that its not very fair to just pick up and leave once u've won a huge hand.. we're all good friends .. i need some suggestions to make the game w/o the anger hahaha
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: home poker cash NL

if people want to get up after winning a big hand they can. otherwise play tournament style. then they can't. who would show up at a game and then leave after their first win? that would just be dumb.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Yes a player in a cash game should be able to get up and leave ANYTIME he wants. If he was to suffer a huge badbeat on the first hand and get busted, im sure all the guys arent going to all chip in and give him money to keep playing.

The previous poster is correct, if you want to restrict leaving, play tournament style.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Has this been an issue in the past or are you just concerned that it might happen?

I've thought about holding a NL cash game and was worried that this might happen. I agree with the earlier poster though that no one is concerned if the player busted out so why should he be concerned when he's up a bunch. I think the issue is more of an etiquette thing and trying to make it rule probably won't go over well. If everyone is good friends, hopefully this isn't an issue. What sort of stakes are we talking $5, $10, $20, $1000? If I tripled up in a high stakes game ($500-$1000 pot), I'd probably be tempted to leave. For $50, I'd rather play more poker.

If this has been a problem, you can simply not invite the person in the future, pass out pamphlets on the etiquette of poker or you could have people annouce how long they can stay barring an emergency or such. The last one might be hard to enforce though.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:35 PM

Just let them leave, it's not a big deal. Anyone who manufactures wins by getting up right after a big pot has huge holes in his game you can exploit next week.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 PM

If they leave when their ahead, you can count on the fact they most of time they will leave a loser.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:51 PM

I agree with the previous posters --- basically, anybody can leave whenever they want. I've had players announce in advance a time that they have to leave. There are no hard feelings if they leave then, even if their last hand was a huge win.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM

Keep the stakes low & plan for multiple rebuys. Figure out what acceptable losses are and set the buy-ins at roughly ¼-½ of that setting limits accordingly.

Cashing out early thread

- Fins
Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM

It's good etiquette if someone announces that they will be leaving at a specific time. If not, at least 1 or 2 more rounds is good.

If you have someone that keeps leaving every time they're up, it's a judgement call if you want to invite them back or not. If you don't have a full game, I would still let them play. If a pattern does develop, not a bad idea to mention it to them in private. Don't call them out in front of the whole group though.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 PM

when we play we always have the half hour rule where you can call your half hour anytime and once that half is up you can leave even if you just won a few big pots. it seems to work pretty while.