Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Who Shuffles?

What's the best procedure for shuffling/cutting/dealing in a home game? Our tradition is that the dealer takes in the cards at the end of his deal, shuffles, then passes the deck 1 to the left for cutting, who then passes 1 to the left to the new dealer. The only problem is that the same person who cuts the deck is also gathering cards in after dealing.

What method to you guys use? Is there an established procedure here?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Who Shuffles?

the guy who cuts the cards gathers them to the point that they are all in front of him. then cuts the new deck. then straightns the cards and shuffles.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:37 PM

Dealer shuffles, person to the right has option to cut.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:41 PM

At my games we use two decks, one red one blue that way they don't get mixed up. The dealer shuffles the deck that they will deal, the person to their right cuts the deck, and the dealer deals. Meanwhile the person to the dealers left is shuffling the deck not in play, the theory is that it will be ready to deal as soon as the current hand is over. Using two decks really helps to keep the game moving along without much dead time.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:36 PM

Button deals, gathers cards after hand, shuffles deck thoroughly. Pass the deck, cut card on top, two places to the left (person in between is currently dealer #2 with another deck)

Person who receives the deck (dealer #3) cuts the deck and deals after the current hand is over. In the meantime, dealer #2 gathers old cards, shuffles....

and so on
Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 PM

This is how we do it also.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my games we use two decks, one red one blue that way they don't get mixed up. The dealer shuffles the deck that they will deal, the person to their right cuts the deck, and the dealer deals. Meanwhile the person to the dealers left is shuffling the deck not in play, the theory is that it will be ready to deal as soon as the current hand is over. Using two decks really helps to keep the game moving along without much dead time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Also, the deck should be shuffled 7 times, stripped at least once. The 7 times thing is important -- I have seen guys shuffle two or three times because everyone is waiting for them, not enough.

warewulf
Old 10-28-2004, 02:54 PM

One thing I personally do to help the randomness- occasionally, during the shuffles (I aim for 7 or more) i break into a small stack and a larger stack- 2:1 or greater- and shuffle that, then go back to even stacks or stripping or both.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM

We've started using a dedicated player dealer (usually me or one other person) and have the person on the button shuffle. It works out very well.

-Craig
Old 10-28-2004, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way we do it as well and it keeps the game moving; no lag time.