Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Playing too many hands (VPIP > 25 at full ring, > 30 at 6-max)
> 1.0 11 35.48%
between 0.5 and 1.0 9 29.03%
between 0.25 and 0.5 9 29.03%
between 0.1 and 0.25 1 3.23%
< 0.1 BB/100 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: On or Off?

Most new computers don't even turn off. They go into standby or hibernate when you press the button. Even in windows on most retail machines you have jump through some hoops to get it to turn the machine off.

Of course Standby and Hibernate mode are for the convenience of the user (less start up time) and to save power not to protect the hardware in any way.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 PM

When I had my old cpu I used to close it every night before going to bed and then reopen it in the morning, it usually had a rough time starting up (made more noise than supposed) but then it would eventually dissapear after I spent some time on the desktop. I figured this was because my room was cold (I used to sleep in the basement).

I recently got a new cpu and didnt have the noise problem but recently it's been happening (I always clean it, so it's not because of dust). It's funny tho, that it just started when winter arrived and obv my room has been colder than usual but I dont sleep in the basement anymore. I wouldnt turn it off if I had a choice, but since the cpu is in my room it really dampers with my sleep. (yes, I am weak)
Old 12-29-2005, 10:30 PM

I went to Germany for 10 days, and I still left my computer on.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 PM

My computer has been on for 4 years straight now. (except for when I had to add RAM or a new video card -- or the rare power outage).
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My computer has been on for 4 years straight now. (except for when I had to add RAM or a new video card -- or the rare power outage).

[/ QUOTE ]

you can probably afford to get a newer machine now
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can probably afford to get a newer machine now

[/ QUOTE ]

I could but the thing is... my machine isn't that much worse than what is out there now...

It is 2ghz, 1.5 GB RAM, 128 MB video card... Some of the games are becoming a little too much for it but it is still plenty good for what i'd have to spend to get a better machine today. It was state of the art when I bought it... cost a little over 2 grand right after the september 11th attacks, the machines for 2k now a days just don't seem that much better.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 PM

I cycle mine daily, it's off when I sleep and I'm an old school tech guy. It just seems wastefull to me.

All the wear and tear stuff is theoretical. Makes sense, but I've never seen a study.

With modern technology it probably translates to your computer dying 10 years after it's obsolete instead of 17.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the wear and tear stuff is theoretical. Makes sense, but I've never seen a study.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part it is all theoretical. You would have to turn your computer on/off several thousand times (probaby ten's of thousands of times) before it would make a difference. I just leave mine on because i still have win2k and it takes too long to boot up.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would have to turn your computer on/off several thousand times (probaby ten's of thousands of times) before it would make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda my point. 10,000 power cycles is over 27 years assuming 1 cycle/day. If you are using the same computer in 27 years, you'd best be saving every friggin dime in power.

I kinda equate the morning boot to my morning dump. Cleans out the pipes.