Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Strategy ? for how to play this type of player

A new player joined our game (home tourney, small buy-ins, aggressive blind structure) and he's pretty good. Don't know if this is relevant, but he's only 16.

He's having success against all of us. Watching him, I've noticed some habits that I think I could exploit. First, he picks out certain players (usually the women) and raises their blind almost as if it's a position move. Secondly, he likes to limp raise preflop. Finally, if he bets and is raised, he will reraise the size of the bet. But whenever he is raised back in any of these situations, he will let the hand go. The exceptions are when he has a premium hand, or if it goes to the flop, if the flop improved him.

I'm relatively tight, and the times when I've been in a pot with this player I haven't had good cards. I'm a woman, so he routinely raises my blinds. About 1/4 to 1/3rd of the time I'll either (1) call and bet out on the flop or (2) raise back preflop, which has curbed his opportunism somewhat.

Given that he seems a little predictable in his aggression, should I play back at him more? Should I play back at him every opportunity, figuring that the times I take the pot will make up for the times he actually has a hand?

Let's say we're talking about early on in the tournament, when the blinds are not so great.

Thanks