Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: I have an interesting question??

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a copy of Super System and loan it out to them. If they get better, it will make you better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own all the books man, I loan them to people all the time but they are to lazy to read them. I guess some people are different then others. If I am consistently getting my a$$ beat in something I love to do I do everything in my power to be the best. Guess some people are just built differently then others. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2004, 09:56 PM

I can understand too lazy to read them. That is better than what my friends tell me. They know that I own about a half-of-a-dozen poker books that I bought for like 30 each(with my winnings of coarse). When I tell them that I bought another one they ask me why I waste my money. They must not relieze that I am wasting their money?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:26 AM

I might be the only one but I think you should play to win every single time. As far as keeping the game going, it's my experience that bad players will keep coming to the game no matter how many times they lose... particularly if it's only 20 or 50 dollars. They would probably blow that at a bar on Friday night easily so why not do the same for a night of poker with friends? If you're worried about your friends getting seriously upset try beating them and then telling them how you beat them. A poker discussion group would be good for your game as well. I would suggest limiting it to just your close friends in the group though.

Best Wishes

AAeyes
Old 12-27-2004, 04:48 PM

Sounds to me like they are paying more for "lessons" from you, than you paid for the books. Let them keep paying. I was in a similar situation with guys I work with. They even started to suggest I might be cheating. I pointed out to them that I was the only one of the bunch that doesn't drink. Also I read books, watch vids and play online. They started drinking less and paying attention, most of them have gotten better.

peace.
unloaded
Old 12-28-2004, 10:54 PM

I was talking about starting to play poker online, (I've been playing B&M for years) and a guy I work with invited me to a home game. I was appalled by how readable they all were. I think they read MIke Caro's book of tells and decided to be the ones to act out the tells not read them. We bought in for $20 and played NL tournement style with increasing blinds, winner take all. After winning the first 4 games I started to get the feel this will never happen again based on me killing them. They saw lucky draws and I saw the pot odds, tells and proper outs etc.. The fifth game I gave it to the father of the guy who held the game. If he went all in on a bluff and stared me down I fold anything. When he acted like "I guess I'll play this to see what happens" Which meant he had a monster I raised him and got caught bluffing with K high at the wrong time. Suddenly I was just having beginners luck and some good play. Sixth game I noticed a huge increase of fun attitude again and the truth is I don't think there was going to be a 6th game. I took second in the last game due to a guy with J7 suited out drew me on my all in preflop KK. Then caught a straight next hand. I also kept down playing my wins as lucky draws and even adopted a LUCKY Potatoe chip to highlight that I was just lucky. I would high five those who won hands and console those who got beat when they should of won. Result...I created an enviornment of fun while I won. I get invited back frequently. I rarely go because there is more money in real stakes but I will go on occassion to have fun. I like to play all levels because the style at $15-$30 and $1-$2 is quite different and it is exciting to beat what ever game I play and I play to win. Even so at this home game if I don't lose a game by the 5th one you can put $ on me losing that one.
I usually win 5 games of 6. I put in $120 and win $800 to $1,000. If you are willing to put in a bet on a bad hand to throw your opponent off why not be flexible and get invited back? By going back I am beating the game. By not being invited back it beat me.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 PM

Just sit out a few nights.

timmer
Old 12-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Don't throw a game. Some people can smell that. Even if they don't, it could backfire. The last time we had a player try to throw a game (because they needed to leave early), they ended up with 2/3 of the chips in play by the time they left and there was some resulting bitterness.

If you're truly taking first or second every time, why not flatten the payout? In one of our tourneys, we paid out six of fourteen. First got 33%, sixth got their money back. It may not be as exciting as the winner getting 70%+, but a lot more people were happy with their finishes.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Nope.

Always play your best. Those who joke about "donating" thier money to you, enjoy the challenge of taking on the top dog. You'd be cheating them if you were to tank a couple tourneys.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:01 PM

"It is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money"

SO TRUE
Old 01-02-2005, 10:19 PM

you must be the luckiest guy on earth to ALWAYS come in first or second...

How can your cards ALWAYS hold up..even if you hold aces, you'd think some fool would crack them and take you down at least once in awhile...

Move to Vegas ASAP