Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: How much do you need for a little 3/6 B&M play?

Hey Jay,

I'll go higher than everybody else and tell you to bring $400 or $500. Others are right when they say you'll rarely lose more than $300 in a live session, but it happens, and when it does you'll be glad you brought more than that. If you want to set a $300 stop-loss then that's fine, but bring $100 more so you'll never be in danger of going all-in. Buy in two racks, and if you ever get below one rack, buy another.

GoT
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 AM

It is important to decide how much you can lose without becoming distressed to where it impacts your play. I agree with the others about bringing $300 if it is a full kill game. Lose more than that, and it is likely you are either playing badly, or will start playing badly.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 AM

I usually follow the Annie Duke 30BB rule and I buy in for 180 at a 3/6 table. But usually have another 200 or so in reserve for the next day.

At 6/12 I buy in for 340 just because it fills up one rack nicely.

You could also take the approach of buying in for alot more than 25x or 30x to portray a LAG image or the intimidation factor.

Here is a link to the Annie Duke article on buy-ins.

http://www.ultimatebet.com/learn-pok...ml?articleID=6
Old 11-06-2004, 01:18 AM

I buy in for $300, with $250 in red ($5) and $50 in white ($1).

I only do it that way because it exactly fills one rack. Nobody pays any attention when I sit down. There are usually two players whose chips cover a lot more surface area than me (often fully white, and often in a ton of stacks of 5), so it doesn't look like I have all that much.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:22 AM

I usually just buy in for 1 rack ($100). If i lose it, I'll get another.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM

It depends on your style and the game itself. If the game is one of those "every street is capped" games, you need a pretty good BR.

If it's a weak/tight game (lot's of calling, little raising), you can get some decent time at the table for $100, unless you get a couple of good hands crushed. I've played for as little as 1 hour on $100 and as long as 20 hours on $100 - just depends on a lot of things.

When I go to a new cardroom for the first time (don't know the game) I usually figure on $200 for a full session. If I need more than that, then I'm probably either not playing well, not running well, or just won't like the game (too many maniacs) and will likely pack it in.

Of course this is based on my game style which is usually fairly tight, a little aggressive. If you like to gamble it up or terrorize the table, you may want more.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:09 PM

I buy in for one rack.

I once saw a guy sit down with one slot of the rack almost full of $100 chips. $1700+ and he started two-hand raising every pot.