Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: You are welcome to rejoin civilization

[ QUOTE ]

That's what I like to hear! But why stop with terrorists? Let's torture our own rapists and murderers. That'll get people to stop raping and murdering. And while we're at it, bank robbers, armed or not. No more bank robberies if they know they're going to get the chinese water torture. And come to think of it, tax cheats. We spend too much damn money chasing down people who cheat on their taxes. Let's attach electrodes to their nipples. And god damn speeders too. We could reduce insurance premiums here in New Jersey if everyone would slow down. And what better way to make that happen than by chopping off a finger or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! And why should we wait for all the hassles of a due process of law to start? We should have every right to torture anyone we pick up off the street accused of any crime because they might have some kind of information that we might need!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Victor Davis Hanson

[/ QUOTE ]
He spoke at my college graduation

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a lucky man. What'd you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like him.... as with any person, idea, movement...etc. not without reservation... but I like him.

Some of the more thinking conservatives go out of their way to laud my college, St. John's College his speach did a touch too much of that... you know, preaching to the choir,.... but I do love it when people complement the place.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I like to hear! But why stop with terrorists? Let's torture our own rapists and murderers. And while we're at it, bank robbers, armed or not. And come to think of it, tax cheats. And god damn speeders too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do our rapists, murderers, bank robbers, tax cheats, and speeders possess pertinent information that can likely save the lives of hundreds or thousands of people who are potentially in immediate danger?

No.

[ QUOTE ]
That'll get people to stop raping and murdering.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does torturing for purposes of information have to do with deterrence? (besides absolutely nothing, that is)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that we're better off imprisoning and torturing innocent people than not?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not. Why would we imprison and torture innocent people?

That's barbaric.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should have every right to torture anyone we pick up off the street accused of any crime because they might have some kind of information that we might need!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we shouldn't. The Constitution protects US Citizens from cruel and unusual punishment, as well as guarantees them due process when they are accused of a crime.

If you can show me the part that protects foreign terrorists, I'll gladly bid this thread farewell.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM

By the way, I don't know why everyone is taking the extremist viewpoint and claiming that a lack of this policy should be all-encompassing. That is absurd and, quite frankly, beneath the intellectual level of most posters who frequent this particular forum.

Do you all believe that a 5 year sentence is cruel and unusual punishment for someone who, say, walks into an elementary school, murders a teacher, and then rapes and murders all of the under-age students? How about a 1 year sentence for someone who conspires with a group of people to kill the President?

Oh wait.... you believe those sentences are too lenient? OK - well, I agree... but I also believe a $150 ticket is too lenient for someone who speeds. Put that bastard behind bars and throw away the key! And jaywalkers? Why waste a perfectly good jail cell? Just put a bullet into their thick skulls!

What's that now? You're telling me that you can't compare murder and conspiracy to commit murder to something as trivial as speeding or jaywalking???

You know what? YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT!!!

....... so stop doing so.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that we're better off imprisoning and torturing innocent people than not?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not. Why would we imprison and torture innocent people?

That's barbaric.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it is, and yet we are doing it on a fairly regular basis in our War on Terror.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We should have every right to torture anyone we pick up off the street accused of any crime because they might have some kind of information that we might need!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we shouldn't. The Constitution protects US Citizens from cruel and unusual punishment, as well as guarantees them due process when they are accused of a crime.

If you can show me the part that protects foreign terrorists, I'll gladly bid this thread farewell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing a search right now, but unless I'm mistaken, we do have regulations against imprisoning and torturing foreign nationals without any kind of conviction or recourse against the charges levied against them.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, it is, and yet we are doing it on a fairly regular basis in our War on Terror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name some of the innocent people we've imprisoned and tortured?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name some of the innocent people we've imprisoned and tortured?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are three

Here are 4 more

This guy also caused a pretty big stir

That's just from a quick google search and one thread from here. I'm sure that I can find other examples.

Also, I know that you can argue that what goes on at Git'mo isn't torture, but that's for another thread, so let's just stick with wrongful imprisonment.