Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 10:07 PM

Default No significant transfer value from limit to no limit?

Hi, I play limit fulltime, read a lot about limit, think about it too (yes, I am a geek [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). My game has improved significantly during the last months.

However, I play a few hours of no limit once or twice a week (live with friends or a tourney) and I think I am at the same level in no limit as a was 6 months ago. I have not putten any effort into learning no limit, but is there really nothing from what I learn in limit that improves my no limit game? Or do I even get a lot of habits, that ruins my no limit game?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: No significant transfer value from limit to no limit?

That's like asking if Tball is the same as baseball. NL rewards skilled players more than limit; if you got the ability, the balls and the bankroll I say go for it.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... is there really nothing from what I learn in limit that improves my no limit game? Or do I even get a lot of habits, that ruins my no limit game?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you understand why you do things in limit, this may carry over to improve your NL game. However, if you blindly follow recipes that work in limit, you will find that these often do not work in NL.

For example, in limit, you may have learned that it is rarely right to cold-call. In NL, it is often right just to call a raise preflop. In limit, if you are strong enough to enter the pot, you usually want to increase the pressure on the blinds or limpers by 3-betting, and you don't mind so much if the initial raiser caps. In NL, the preflop raise already prices out the blinds unless they have strong hands, and you can profitably call with many hands with which you would greatly regret reraising if the initial raiser pushes.

In general, bets and calls represent more strength in NL than in limit. Implied odds are much more important. It is more important to play hands that can make very strong hands rather than just decent hands. Position improves your implied odds, so position is more important in NL than limit.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:17 AM

TBall is way harder.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 PM

Thx for the reply.

I have experimented a bit with this now and have played almost every game available and noticed that I do well in Stud, Omaha limit, Omaha8 limit, Single & double draw limit (local games) even if I have not studied those games extensively; while I don't do good in pot limit or no limit games. It seems to me now that when you play good players, having a good "fingerspütsgefiel" for the betting system is more important than the type of game; as most rules/ odds calculations are quite simple.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"fingerspütsgefiel"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, wtf is that. feel? Just say feel if that's what you mean lol.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the reply.

I have experimented a bit with this now and have played almost every game available and noticed that I do well in Stud, Omaha limit, Omaha8 limit, Single & double draw limit (local games) even if I have not studied those games extensively; while I don't do good in pot limit or no limit games. It seems to me now that when you play good players, having a good "fingerspütsgefiel" for the betting system is more important than the type of game; as most rules/ odds calculations are quite simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably end up calling too much postflop. That is exactly what I do.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's like asking if Tball is the same as baseball. NL rewards skilled players more than limit; if you got the ability, the balls and the bankroll I say go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is rediculous and incorrect.