Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Taking The Opposite Side (kinda long?)

I want to look at both sides of the same hand. The first side I'm very confident in my play. If you have something to add, please feel free.

(For those who don't recognize it, this hand was inspired by KaneKungFu)

FIRST SIDE: Against the Typical TAG

Stars 1/2 NL, effective stacks $200 all around.

UTG is a typical learning TAG, who tends to nut-peddle. Opens pot for $10. All fold to Hero on the button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero calls, blinds fold.

2 to the flop for $23. Flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets $23.

In this scenario, against this opponent, I push. I don't mind if he calls, but given his playing style, he folds frequently. Now, assuming that everyone's on board with this plan, let's move on to the other side of the hand...

The second side of this hand I'm not so sure about.

SECOND SIDE: Against a Good (Enough) Player

Same exact hand, but now Hero is the UTG player with about what you'd expect: a high pockket pair.

Stars 1/2 NL, effective stacks $200 all around.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG, and opens for $10. Only the button calls. The button is a decent to excellent player who will not mage egregious postflop errors (edit).

2 to the flop for $23. Flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

What's Hero's action?

I'm thinking big overbet of perhaps $50, or maybe even push right now. What do you think? I don't want to give Btn the reigns, and my hand desperately needs protection. Consiidering that a bet of $50 leaves me with $140 in what will be a ~$123 pot, I'm inclined to push.

Edited line 2 read on button for clarity.