Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: techniques for letting out frustration

I've been running bad playing 5-10 6-max. For a change of pace I 8 tabled 2-4 for about 30 minutes. I ran those poor bastards over. I value bet every chance I got and was paid well, and I didn't feel bad about folding in a medium sized pot when a LP c/r me on the turn. It's amazing how easy the game is when you barely care about the results.

WiteKnite
Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought of getting a cat for the sole purpose of kicking it every time my kings get beat by a JT off suit

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat is my bad beat detector, if all of a sudden my cat bolts out of the room, I know its coming. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Stress balls are okay, even better is I have a large comfy chair in the room that I can throw the stress ball at. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I haven't been that way in a while, but after this month I'm starting to get there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My cat is my bad beat detector, if all of a sudden my cat bolts out of the room, I know its coming. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought that only my dog has that talent.

I like to find hand histories of the ridiculously bad beats I put on others. Makes me feel like all is right with the world.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:18 PM

nothing works for me like a little chemical happiness. liquer, pot, pain perscriptions. dont play after taking these...
Old 02-22-2005, 07:34 PM

If you have a spare nonfunctional CRT monitor sitting around, throw it into the street or at a deck or something. If that doesn't break it in a satisfying manner (it won't), then throw bricks at it until it's completely destroyed.

If your walls are cheap drywall like mine, I must recommend against punching them. I've had to patch the walls two or three times.

When shopping for a cat, ask the people at the pet store which breed is most aerodynamic. I bet they'll help you right out.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 PM

My favorite technique is summed up in Daniel Negreanu's Article named Nutbar.

I just love going to a lower limit and doing this.. it also helped my game a lot, I call is constructive tilt (I think daniel actually said that in his article too lol).

Just read the article you'll understand, heres a link
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/cpar...s.php?id=00022
Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite technique is summed up in Daniel Negreanu's Article named Nutbar.

I just love going to a lower limit and doing this.. it also helped my game a lot, I call is constructive tilt (I think daniel actually said that in his article too lol).

Just read the article you'll understand, heres a link
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/cpar...s.php?id=00022

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent article, that was going to be my suggestion until I read his post. Give it a shot, you may even come up with some of those miracle bad beats yourself which will make you feel like the world is balanced again.

Just remember that the reason you have bad beats is because your opponents are making mistakes. Which down the line will turn into profits for yourself. Everytime you have a so called bad beat just tell the other guy NH and then think to yourself, yeah NH keep playing that trash and I'll have you broke in a couple of hours.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 AM

While Daniel's Nutbar does help with hand reading, I find it useless for releasing my anger of when 39o cracks my set of aces (he hit the back door flush, capping every round)

I have an over-sized dice that I use as my card marker in B&M. I usually throw that at my golf bag; it helps. If I take a run of beats at the same time while multi-tabling, I have to find other stuff to throw.

Aerodynamic cat, lol Im a cat person, but that's still funny.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 PM

As a side note of my reply on throwing objects at my golf bag:
Bad beat = Mad $teve
Throwing pens = not good
Thrown pens shattering = bad
Ink, from thrown pen shattering = very bad
Ink, from thrown pen shattering, on wall and carpet = very mad $teve
Cleaning up ink, from thrown pen shattering, on wall and carpet = fooking evil and less playing time

In short, dont throw objects that can break and cause lots of damage to your house. Not only did that loser take the pot, when my flopped boat lost to a back door royal flush, but now I have to paint the wall and probably replace the carpet. Gotta find that over-sized dice......
Old 02-28-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had a string of bad beats lately and it's getting to the point where I'm ready to toss my computer out the window. I recently had my aces cracked by a 56 suited who called my 10BB raise out of position. That's just the beginning of the bad beat stories. Over the past couple days, I've had half a dozen hands where I was at least a 4-1 favorite to win preflop and have lost every single time. Kings getting beat by jacks, AT beat by A7. Getting sucked out on a gut shot draw, etc.

I know my play is correct. I keep getting my chips in with the best of it and yesterday I coached a friend to his first sit and go tournament win. My play is sound and I'm not looking for advice on how to play KK vs. JJ.

What I am looking for is some advice on what people do to let out their aggrevation and frustrations. I know I'm not the first person to run into this, but it is the first time I've hit a string of luck this bad and I'm not used to dealing with it. So please let me know whatever you guys do to let it all out before my tilt factor reaches 100. The more creative the better. I could use a good laugh or two right about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're playing online in the privacy of your own home, I have actually found that doing pushups is a great way to relieve the anger/stress of horrible beats. They are good for you, they help satisfy the urge to do something physical, they don't break anything, they don't cost any of your chips/money, and as it turns out, you can do a ton of them when you are really pissed about a bad beat. Lots of positives, no negatives. Obviously, the best poker players pull the ultimate jedi mind trick of turning their anger over a bad beat into pure happiness instantaneously by contemplating how much money they are going to take from their opponent who went all in with JJ against KK and just got lucky spiking a jack. But for us lesser players, that will only come with experience, and some pushups will do the trick until then.