Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 03:37 PM

Default $1000 NL hand

Pot-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($1000)
Button ($646.09)
Hero ($930)
BB ($2796.36)
UTG ($2717)
MP ($2567.3)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $10, MP calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $10, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $70</font>, MP folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $175</font>, UTG calls $105.

Turn: ($400) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $250</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $650
Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: $1000 NL hand

Its seems pretty likely that he hit a set, 2 pair, flush or straight. the hands you beat are A6 or a complete bluff and even if he is bluffing he could have a heart or 2 overcards in which case just calling in that spot is not really an option.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:41 PM

As far as the laydown goes, I'm almost positive that you're beat.

Villian's likely hands include:
PPs (22-TT)
Suited connectors
Suited aces

Of the hands that he would raise, and call a re-raise, I think that the most likely hands are:
Flush draw with overcards
Flush draw and a pair
Straight draw and a pair (56s)
MAYYBE overpair of 77-TT

I think a set would push the flop.

After the 2h hits the turn, every drawing hand got there, and every PP has you beat now with a set, straight, or overpair.

As far as how you played the hand:
PF: Fine.
Flop: I'm not sure if I like it. While I think that you have very good fold equity in this spot with the three bet, as a set or straight is a very possible holding for you.

The problem is that a) Of the hands that he would raise you on the flop with, there are very few that you are ahead of. A few hands like A6 or maybe 67 are possible, but don't seem terribly likely to me. b) if you do get called on the flop, what card are you rooting for on the turn? Except for an offsuit 5, there's not really much of anything that looks good for your hand, and now you're playing a big pot out of position with just a pair of sevens.

I think that I fold to the flop raise, unless I think Villian is very likely to fold to the three bet. Other than that, I might go for a check raise on the flop with my measly overpair, if I think that would be more likely to take down the pot (which, of course, depends on your image).
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 PM

After a little more thought, I also think that a call on the flop, intending to stop and go on a safe turn card (pairing the board or an offsuit 8-K are probably safe cards) is also a decent line.

Of course, after the worst possible card in the deck for you, the 2h hits the turn, you check-fold.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM

Fold the flop after he raises you unless you have a read on him IMO. You are making dubious plays on the flop to win $60? It's a small pot and you can let it go after he raises you.

Furthermore you should not reraise this flop unless you are going to be all-in (which you are far from in this hand). There are so many scare cards to your very vulnerable hand that even if you do have him beat you will almost inevitably have to check the turn or river at which point a substantial bet by him will take the pot right away from you.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:21 PM

catlover-

what are you doing here? Can you explain your plan on the flop to me? Any bet you make needs to be for a reason. Your flop bets (both the initial bet and the 3-bet) don't seem to be part of any cohesive plan. Looks more like-

bet: "ooh, I have an overpair! I bet! But it is not very big, so I will bet small."

3-bet: "Oh no, I got raised! Drat... well... he might be on a draw, or have a 6, so I reraise!"

At these stakes, this is not gonna cut it.

-muz
Old 05-26-2005, 07:07 PM

your flop play is terrible.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:29 PM

When I thought about it after the hand, I didn't much like my flop play either. I agree I need a plan and I'm open to suggestions.