Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Question For The Pros

If you make your living playing poker, I'm guessing you play the high stakes tables. Most of the people playing these tables know each other, and if someones consistently losing at these tables they would probably play at lower limits. Who does your money come from, if you play with the same people all the time? Sorry if this question's already been asked, I couldn't find a post relevant to it though.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Question For The Pros

just because someone is consistently playing doesnt mean they are winning, also some players will multitable lower limits with success and lose money when they try to move up, so in a sense these lower limit players can somewhat fund the higher limit games.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Everyday there are new people 'taking a shot' at the big tables. Those gamblers who want to play the big game, or the small times who are tilting.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you make your living playing poker, I'm guessing you play the high stakes tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you make your living playing poker, I'm guessing you play the high stakes tables. Most of the people playing these tables know each other, and if someones consistently losing at these tables they would probably play at lower limits. Who does your money come from, if you play with the same people all the time? Sorry if this question's already been asked, I couldn't find a post relevant to it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play on a small site and make all my money from busting new players. I am at best a break-even player against the other regulars, but I still do pretty well overall.

There's plenty of dead money entering cardrooms every day. You just need to practice decent game selection to find it.

Two fish in a 10-player room are enough to feed all the regulars.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you make your living playing poker, I'm guessing you play the high stakes tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is it totally out of the question to even dream of multitabling for a living at the 600nl tables? This is what I would play if I went pro. Everyone seems to grind limit but is NL just too risky cause of variance to plan a living on? Even with a 50 x buyin bankroll? What is the biggest downswing in terms of buyins anyone has had playing normal/good/tiltfree poker with just plain horrible luck losing set over set or kk vs aa etc.?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is it totally out of the question to even dream of multitabling for a living at the 600nl tables? This is what I would play if I went pro. Everyone seems to grind limit but is NL just too risky cause of variance to plan a living on? Even with a 50 x buyin bankroll? What is the biggest downswing in terms of buyins anyone has had playing normal/good/tiltfree poker with just plain horrible luck losing set over set or kk vs aa etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

NL has less variance than limit.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:47 AM

yeah especially multitabling at lower limits its basically nut peddling and waiting for solid edges, theres alot less variance than in limit where its impossible to consistently get your money in as a very big favorite
Old 03-31-2005, 03:50 AM

I seem to recall a post of someone losing something like 38 buy-ins. The most I have gone down at once was something like 18 buy-ins (at 50BB's/buy-in). With the new 100BB's/buy-in at Party (where I play) I imagine my variance will decrease, so I would feel comfortable with a 15-20 buy-in bankroll. Don't know if others will disagree, and as I'm not a pro, maybe this isn't the general consensus amongst pros.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to recall a post of someone losing something like 38 buy-ins. The most I have gone down at once was something like 18 buy-ins (at 50BB's/buy-in). With the new 100BB's/buy-in at Party (where I play) I imagine my variance will decrease, so I would feel comfortable with a 15-20 buy-in bankroll. Don't know if others will disagree, and as I'm not a pro, maybe this isn't the general consensus amongst pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

50 buyins is a good number to have.

25 is riskier, but if you play tight should be fine.