Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 02:52 AM

Default AQo vs way too big a field, man this sucks.

SB is a fish, other than that new table and no reads. Hero is MP2 w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero raises, MP3 calls, LP calls, CO calls, button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Pot is 8 big bets, eight handed at flop.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB and BB check, UTG bets, MP1 calls, Hero raises, LP calls, CO 3 bets, blinds fold, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, LP calls.

Pot is 14.5 Big bets, four players.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, Hero checks, LP checks, CO bets, UTG calls, Hero raises, LP folds, CO calls, UTG folds.

Pot is 19.5 Big bets, two players.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero ?
Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: AQo vs way too big a field, man this sucks.

I would go for a check call. It's perhaps week, I know. But with bad players you have a tendency to run in to some what interesting holdings... So you might be up against another seven, possibly with a six for a full house on the river. Or you might run in to a 66. But then again you may find your self up against 62s.

And the pot is to big to fold for one bet on the river. You only have to wing 5% of the times for it to be a profitable call.

/Oscar
Old 07-28-2005, 03:09 AM

I would play the turn straightforward and bet out instead of check-raising. You definitely don't want to wiff and give someone a free card to their draw or two-pair.

Whatever is done on the turn, you need to be seeing a showdown on the river with the pot that big. I'm really split between betting out or check/calling. The pot is already very large and you don't want to get raised.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:14 AM

I'm not sure what to do. However if you check, I can't see a weaker hand bluffing into after all the strength you've shown. I say bet/call.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:29 AM

I'm responding blind.

I don't like the flop raise very much. What are you hoping to accomplish? (Versus seven players, it's not very likely you have the best hand, and I don't think you'll fold anything out that you'd like to.)

I think the turn is okay, but I might just lead, fearing CO's flop 3-bet. (I'm worried he'll 3-bet my checkraise with his 66 or 76, but maybe I'm just paranoid right now.)

On the river, I don't know. I'm not willing to bet-fold in a pot this big versus an unknown, but I think CO may just have an overpair (edit: an overpair to the flop, I mean, like 88-JJ). A7 is the most likely trips hand, and there are only six available combinations of that.

I think I would bet-call. Check-calling seems all right to me too, though. I'm not sure.

Edit: The main thing is, I wouldn't do anything on the river that involved folding.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM

The flop raise seems pointless to me, especially given the pre-flop action. You had 3 guys call two cold pre-flop and you think you're going to be able to get them to fold a pair or a draw?

I think I just lead the turn, though I don't have that much trouble with the check-raise. Not many players are 3-betting this flop to buy a free card and clearing the field is nice.

As for the river, that card sucked. I guess you could check-call but it means hands like 99 or TT might check behind. I think I'd rather bet this.

Reads would help immensely.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM

I agree with the primary sentiments:

1. There is no reason to raise the flop. I think people raise unimproved overcards on the flop way too often simply because they are the pre-flop raiser. Your opponents, particularly in a multiway pot, are not going to be betting into you with hands that you are beating; there are draws here, but not many. Raising opens yourself up to a three-bet or worse, and paying three or more bets here to see the turn pretty much sucks, even if the pot is big.

2. You should bet the turn, even if it tips your hand and yuo think a check-raise might work. Letting the turn get checked through is such a disaster that you really need to make sure that doesn't happen. Late position three-bettor could have been raising the unlikely draw. Hands like 10 10 and 99 may become afraid to bet. Your donk bet may seem fishy to the LP player who may raise anyway, which you'd like.

4. Just don't fold the river, whatever you do. Please.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But then again you may find your self up against 62s.

And the pot is to big to fold for one bet on the river. You only have to wing 5% of the times for it to be a profitable call.

/Oscar

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I never even considered folding this river. I ended check/calling, and beautifully, saw his 62suited and MHIG.

At the time I thought the flop raise was good. The pot was so big I was calling, I figured for another small bet I might push out some of the junk. Anyway, I understand why you guys don't like it. The turn check raise also seemed like a good idea. I really expected a bet from CO and didn't see him checking. I didn't put him on draw, as all the other callers seemed to have that, making it much less likely he had it too.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:41 PM

I agree with the sentiment that the flop raise is no good, but against some opponents it is fine. If you expect to both buy the button and get a free card very often in this large pot, this is a good play. It seems however your opponents are too loose for this play to be profitable.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason to raise the flop. I think people raise unimproved overcards on the flop way too often simply because they are the pre-flop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that I am an advocate of raising the flop here...but one could certainly argue that there is a point. If you believe you can narrow the field with a raise, you substantially improve your chances of winning the hand. Your top pair, when you hit it, has a lot better chance of winning against smaller fields.

Now some comments of my own on the hand:

I would consider folding to a 3-bet on the flop. This of course is opponenet dependent. When you are 3-bet on the flop, often you will already be up against two pair, or a set. So even when you pull your A or Q, you will still be behind.

-ropey