Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Serious Post-The 2nd Amendment

[ QUOTE ]
I find it shocking that you can just walk into a shop and get a gun with no permit and no training.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it shocking your parents were able to have children without government supervision.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Glocks Are OK........But get a..............

revolver.

With a Glock, if you don't fire it with a strong wrist the shells can "stovepipe" on you (aka the gun jams). If you're in a gunfight for your life you can't depend on perfect form. The solution is use a revolver for self-protection. There is no safety and revolvers are VERY reliable. If you are caught by surprise, the time to switch the safety on your semi-auto could mean you get shot first. With a revolver it is just point and shoot.

As for getting a gun, the founding fathers of the USA believed in an inherent right to self-defense. A gun in the hands of a 90lb 80yr old woman is a great equalizer when facing a 6'6" 300lb thug looking to do violence on her. If a person is a law abiding citizen who has never used a gun in a crime THEN it should be easy for them to get a gun. If a person has a history of violence using weapons then they should not be allowed to own a gun. End-of-story.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:19 AM

"I find it shocking that you can just walk into a shop and get a gun with no permit and no training."

Dude, this is America. Before the rancid 1968 gun control act you could buy a gun through the mail. No FFLs and limiting gun sales to people willing to give up rights to the ATF. All kinds of stores, hardware stores, etc... sold guns. I don't mean to be too flippant, but how can Ohio, or any other state for that matter, require training or a permit to exercise a right. Do you need a permit to go to church? Do you need a permit to vote? As another poster mentioned, do you need a permit to have a kid? It is a travesty and a national disgrace guns are regulated as much as they are.

There, another of my moderate pro gun posts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the same could be said of cars. I had absolutely no business being behind the wheel at age 16, but it was the law.

Indy
Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Glocks Are OK........But get a..............

revolvers are boring. Glocks don't have safetys anymore either.

Indy
Old 11-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Glocks - meh. Ugly plastic guns. I'd much prefer a nice SIG-Sauer P226:

Yum.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 PM

What do you think of the Springfield that was made like the glock but more safetys?

Indy
Old 11-13-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the Springfield that was made like the glock but more safetys?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I hate safeties. They're pointless. A double action trigger + decocker is all the safety you need in an automatic. I suppose if you're going to get a mini gun to carry in your pocket you might want a safety.

Really, if you haven't fired a P226, go down to your local range and rent one. Fantasticly accurate and reliable. The take-down lever is amazingly simple. Lock the slide, flip the lever, and the gun comes apart in your hands in under 1 second. Easiest gun to clean and maintain you'll ever find. Goes back together just as quickly.

I actually have two Spanish made knockoffs of the P226, manufactured by Astra/Star, the A100. I love them. 10/11 headshots at 22 yards. The A100 isn't made anymore (the company went under, their tooling was bought and they have re-emerged but aren't making the A100 now), but you can get a used one online for $200-$300. It's superior to the original P226 is that the 9mm version packs 17+1 rounds where the P226 only packs 15+1 (the take-down lever is also on the other side):

Old 11-13-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Another advantage of revolvers....

On G.Gordon Liddy's radio show he had a discussion of carry hand guns for self-protection. He said if someone tries to mug you and you shoot them.......DO NOT GO TO THE POLICE. His reason was there are lots of liberal anti-gun attourney's that will sue you on behalf of the thug. Your choice is to pay $30,000 in attourney fees + two years of your life or pay the extortion money to the attourney who is suing you. His advice was to destroy the ballistic evidence of the gun and then throw it in a river. With a semi-auto there it is more difficult destroy the ballistic evidence. With a revolver there is just two EASY steps involved.

That fool Bernard Goetz turned himself in when 5 thugs tried to mug him in the 1980s and he has spent most his life in courts since then. The last I heard, one of the thugs won a multi-million dollar judgement against him.

So remember: Shoot, destroy evidence, and shut-up. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Another advantage of revolvers....

In Indiana, u can shoot the hell outta a guy if he threatens u. u wont even go downtown. Welcome to da wild west.

Indy