Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Default \"We don\'t torture\", says Bush.

Forbes sayes otherwise

WASHINGTON (AFX) - CIA interrogators apparently tried to cover up the death of an Iraqi 'ghost detainee' who died while being interrogated at Abu Ghraib prison, Time magazine reported today, after obtaining hundreds of pages of documents, including an autopsy report, about the case.

The death of secret detainee Manadel al-Jamadi was ruled a homicide in a Defense Department autopsy, Time reported, adding that documents it recently obtained included photographs of his battered body, which had been kept on ice to keep it from decomposing, apparently to conceal the circumstances of his death.

After some 90 minutes of interrogation by CIA officials, he died of 'blunt force injuries' and 'asphyxiation', according to the autopsy documents obtained by Time.

Photos of grinning US soldiers crouching over Jamadi's corpse were among the disturbing images that emerged from the Abu Ghraib prison scandal in 2004, prompting international outrage and internal US military investigations.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: \"We don\'t torture\", says Bush.

Everyone not realizing by now that senior white house politicians/ staff think torture is necessary in the War against Terror, and that they have convinced Bush, is naive.

Spending 200 years to build a democracy and then throw it overboard due to a bunch of nutheads (OBL etc.) challenging it, is impressively retarded.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Spending 200 years to build a democracy and then throw it overboard due to a bunch of nutheads (OBL etc.) challenging it, is impressively retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is basically trying to convince the people and the congress that he must be allowed, at his own judgement, to conduct actions not supported by the congress and the people. Very undemocratic.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 AM

I found this article on interrogation and the United States by Mark Bowden pretty interesting. Here is his take on Bush and his policy on torture:

"The Bush administration has adopted exactly the right posture on the matter. Candor and consistency are not always public virtues. Torture is a crime against humanity, but coercion is an issue that is rightly handled with a wink, or even a touch of hyprocrisy; it should be banned but also quietly practiced.....It is wise of the President to reiterate U.S. support for international agreements banning torture, and it is wise for American interrogators to employ whatever coercive methods work. It is also not smart to discuss the matter with anyone. If the interrogators step over the line from coercion to outright torture, they should be held personally responsible. But to interrogator is ever going to be prosecuted for keeping Khalid Sheikh Mohommed awake, cold, alone, and uncomfortable. Nor should he be."

Earlier in the article it talked about the types of torture that should be allowed, basically the things listed above,(constant loud noises, little sleep,cramp quarters, just enough food to live on) but not things like cutting, breaking, etc. But that is off topic. Rather, the focus of what I copied here is to show what the Bush administration did and should continue to do.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier in the article it talked about the types of torture that should be allowed, basically the things listed above,(constant loud noises, little sleep,cramp quarters, just enough food to live on) but not things like cutting, breaking, etc. But that is off topic. Rather, the focus of what I copied here is to show what the Bush administration did and should continue to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not against using torture against terrorists.

However:
(1) There aren't any terrorists in Iraq. There are only insurgents in Iraq who would be very little threat to America if our military wasn't there.
(2) Most of the torture taking place in Iraq appears to be done for shits and giggles by goofy rednecks. Only specially-trained CIA operatives should be allowed to torture -- and then only on a terrorist with actual ties to 9/11.

Each act of torture in Iraq is heinous, unnecessary, and merely adds fuel to the terrorist movement.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Each act of torture in Iraq is heinous, unnecessary, and merely adds fuel to the terrorist movement.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you just said that there were no terrorists in Iraq (I don't know what you'd call Zarqawi as he most certainly is a terrorist). So which is it?

And do you know that this alleged torture occurred in Gitmo and by a CIA agent?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not against using torture against terrorists.

However:
(1) There aren't any terrorists in Iraq. There are only insurgents in Iraq who would be very little threat to America if our military wasn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]
May I humbly suggest that you have no idea what "terrorist" means?

[ QUOTE ]

(2) Most of the torture taking place in Iraq appears to be done for shits and giggles by goofy rednecks. Only specially-trained CIA operatives should be allowed to torture -- and then only on a terrorist with actual ties to 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, torture should be limited to vital national security concerns, such as revenge and bloodlust? Excellent policy suggestion.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And do you know that this alleged torture occurred in Gitmo and by a CIA agent?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm probably for it then. I'm only against torture done by drunken rednecks at Abu Grahib. Actually, like most Americans, I'm really only against torture if I find out about it and it makes America look bad.

I figure the CIA is going to have to do some pretty dirty little things to terrorists and alleged terrorists to keep this country safe. Some innocent people will likely be hurt or killed. I hope they are smart enough to not take pictures from now on.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Not only are they torturers, they suck at torture. It's really hard to get information out of a dead man.