Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Baked Potato: Cooking Instructions, Please

[ QUOTE ]
"it takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one, because by the time it's done... who knows?...I'll throw a potato in and go on vacation." - mitch hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]

This Mitch Hedberg quote has been used 3 times in this thread now, though you were the first to put the entire joke in.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 PM

In Ireland, there is a popular way to have a baked spud (potato) ready for you at the end of a long trip.

Wrap up the spud in silver cooking foil and wedge it next to the hottest part of your exhaust pipe (muffler) under the bonnet (hood).

After about a fifty mile drive it will be cooked to perfection.

(Tip: If you're not going anywhere, simply drive round your own neighbourhood (block) for about an hour.)

A hedgehog (porcupine) can be cooked in the same way, only you should wrap it up first in wet mud. When you peel off the hard-baked mud the spines (quills) come off at the same time.

(Tip: Always think green, and keep back a spine to use as a toothpick (stick).)
Old 11-06-2005, 02:25 PM

Remember also to keep one handy if you want to use it as a quick and dirty IRA type spud silencer. Just toss it away when you're done, though -- don't eat it.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't feel like making a whole new thread, but anyone have any good quick sides or dishes to make with potatoes? For example breakfast hashbrowns? I can't seem to ever make them as good as any breakfast restaurants, then again i suck at cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hash Browns:

Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Peel a large baking potato and grate it onto a couple of paper towels. Wrap the grated potato in the towels and squeeze it over the sink until the water runs out. Put about a tablespoon or two of butter in pan (avoid burning), and put potatoes in, season to taste (onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, whatever) and pat into a flat patty. Cook until browned, flip, add more butter, and finish cooking.

Garlic Home-fries (great with steak):

Peel a large baking potato and cut it into small cubes, about 1/2 inch on a side. Heat a nonstick skillet on medium, add olive oil to cover bottom, and add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, tossing often until lightly browned. While cooking, finely mince a couple of cloves of garlic, and mix with an equal amount of finely minced parsley. Sprinkle over the potatoes for the last minute or two of cooking.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:30 PM

Foil-wrapped baked potatoes come out fine.

I'm also a big fan of mashed taters and home-fries. Home fries are a joy, especially if you cook them with a nice big onion and let them cook long enough to get some real caramelization going. Caramelized home fries and onions are glorious. Great side to scrambled eggs, too. Or anything else. Or even by themselves.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't feel like making a whole new thread, but anyone have any good quick sides or dishes to make with potatoes? For example breakfast hashbrowns? I can't seem to ever make them as good as any breakfast restaurants, then again i suck at cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hash Browns:

First, put on my apron.

Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Peel a large baking potato and grate it onto a couple of paper towels. Wrap the grated potato in the towels and squeeze it over the sink until the water runs out. Put about a tablespoon or two of butter in pan (avoid burning), and put potatoes in, season to taste (onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, whatever) and pat into a flat patty. Cook until browned, flip, add more butter, and finish cooking.

Garlic Home-fries (great with steak):

Peel a large baking potato and cut it into small cubes, about 1/2 inch on a side. Heat a nonstick skillet on medium, add olive oil to cover bottom, and add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, tossing often until lightly browned. While cooking, finely mince a couple of cloves of garlic, and mix with an equal amount of finely minced parsley. Sprinkle over the potatoes for the last minute or two of cooking.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Start a wood fire. Keep feeding the fire for about half an hour until a good bed of coals is built up. Allow the fire to die down to coals. Bury the potato in the coals and leve it there for about an hour. Feed the fire lightly to maintain coals but not much flame. Dig the potato out of the coals. The skin will be carbonized, but the insided will be yummy.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:26 PM

A well seasoned cas-iron skillet works well for home fries, too. A lid will speed up the cooking a little.