Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Default punketty

Are people familiar with punketty from Party 5-10 NL? I feel I am a solid, strong NL player, and am not one to be awed by other very often - but in my opinion, he (I think it's a he) is the best player I have ever seen. He plays 6-max, usually three or four tables - and ALWAYS has his stacks at each table up between 3K and sometimes as high as 10K.

Yet, his play does not seem reasonable. He seems to raise every single hand. He calls raises in position with trash and defends his blinds with trash. It seems like he wins 75% of the pots he plays - yet he plays nearly every pot. At the same time, he seems to never lose a showdown!

It doesn't seem to make good poker sense to play the way that he does. He calls raises with 9-6 offsuit, raises limpers with q-4 suited, and seems to bet with no discretion. Yet he somehow seems to always be a big winner - and I have rarely seen him lose a big pot unless he gets sucked out on.

I have been watching him (as well as some of the other top players on Party 5-10 NL) for a while and am truly baffled at his style and corresponding success. Could anyone comment please?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: punketty

If this post is sarcastic, it's the best post I've ever read.

If it's serious, which I fear it is, God help you.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 AM

Could you elaborate? Have you seen him play? Have you ever seen him lose? ... His play is absurdly unconventional - yet he never loses.

By the way, I am a winning player at the 3-6 and 5-10 level, so please don't think that I am just some star struck fool.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:21 AM

I can't really be bothered elaborating, but suffice to say he isn't that good at all.

I'd be surprised if he was more than a 2PTBB/100 winner. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a breakeven or losing player.

Yes, I've logged many 1000s of hands against him.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM

You are either jealous or nuts. I have watched him over a long period of time, as I have some of the other top players. I like to learn from some players by incorporating their styles. Punketty consistently wins 10-15K over three tables every time he plays.

I'm sure others that play with him can back me up on this ...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are either jealous or nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Punketty consistently wins 10-15K over three tables every time he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure others that play with him can back me up on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:54 AM

you have probably been watching him lately, in which case, he is running at 20bb over his last couple thousand hands. a hot streak that is all.

when i guy like him runs hot, he can make you miserable, but he also dumps a ton (i mean, alot) when he isnt.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:53 PM

I've played against him on occassion, so I don't have enough history to comment on. I'm a 3/6/600 player and can cite specific player names and stastics if you like, but my general impression is that as a group multi-table players share a common style. First, they are tight. Generally close to the 15% neighborhood. Since they are multi-tabling they try to keep the number of hands played down by playing premium hands only. Second, they are a passive group pre-flop. Their style is to see the flop and make instant decisions based on flop texture.

If you wish to continue this line of discussion I would appreciate it if you would get some specific facts together first. Generalizations such as "always wins" and "never loses" and "seems like" don't hold water.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Based on a 1-day, ~1000 hand impression: Raising 30% of your hands preflop and betting ~80% of the flops you see is like giving away money if you're playing against opponents who can, uhm, draw conclusions and aren't afraid to ignore their cards and just take advantage of an exploitable tendency. I RAISE. I CALL. TY FOR $100. 60%+ he'll basically have to fold OR start 'restealing' with draws/air, which he tends to do to excess against opponents who obviously aren't putting a move on him.

Far from the best player [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Game conditions don't justify his senseless preflop/flop play, either, or his turn/river bluffing frequency. Doubt he wins. Rides variance, comes out a loser (I'd guess).
Old 05-27-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally close to the 15% neighborhood. Since they are multi-tabling they try to keep the number of hands played down by playing premium hands only. Second, they are a passive group pre-flop. Their style is to see the flop and make instant decisions based on flop texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I multi-table and my vpip is 18 pfr a little over 8 and I make plays at players all the time with the help of gametime+.