Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Weird play with QKs

This was a weird hand for me.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

What do you think about calling with KQs UTG? Is this a raise, or do you want a multi-way pot?

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets $1.5 (All-In)</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

If the 9 isn't out there, then I have the best hand with KQ, since any AK or KK would have raised preflop. Should I have capped, or should the all-in raise slow me down?

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I'm not thrilled with that club, but I have outs still, and I'm not giving up yet.

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

I'm invincible! (almost)

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, between SB, BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: BB (3.50 BB), Hero (3.50 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 6 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Split: BB (3 BB), Hero (3 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 6c 7c (flush, king high).
BB shows Kh 7d (full house, nines full of kings).
Hero shows Kd Qd (full house, nines full of kings).
Outcome: BB wins 6.50 BB. Hero wins 6.50 BB. </font>

Comments?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Weird play with QKs

I still raise up KQs UTG - you want players, but you also want money in the pot, and the fishies will often still call.

I wouldn't cap the flop, but 1. I can't give anyone all-in credit for a 9, and 2. If he has it, it doesn't change how you proceed. Good plan on the turn and river.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:18 PM

I would raise KQs UTG because it plays well multiway and heads up - where JTs is better than KQs in multiway pot but not as good heads up.

I would have done the same on the turn and river action.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM

I agree with raising UTG with KQs - hell, yesterday i advocated it with KQo. Not raising up front is bad.

I disagree on the flop cap, Bill. I would cap it - the aggressive player is all in, you want to boost the pot with what i figure to be the best hand at the moment, and make people call more bets with draws.

The turn is nasty, i call it too, and i definitely raise the river.

I contend that a flop cap is good play, given the 3-bettor being all in and your hand being so powerful. Make sure next time you raise PF too!

Comments appreciated,
Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 07-10-2004, 03:01 PM

You guys are telling me what I wanted to hear ... next time I raise this UTG and cap the flop. Even if the all-in guy has a 9 or hits a draw, I'm still making money from the guy still in by building up the side pot early.