Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 PM

Default AJ with 2 pair on flop

I had been at this table for less then a full cycle, so no good reads yet. If I had any impression, it's that the table was typical for a loose Party .5/1.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

There's only one player who VP$IP ahead of me, and I've been well trained by now to raise AJ. I really expect to buy the button, but am dismayed to see all of the cold-callers to my left, and more dismayed to see I'll be first to act. If the flop hits me, this hand could be tricky.

Flop: (12.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Or not.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Button comes alive when the second five hits. But who coldcalls two with a five in his hand? I have no read on this guy, but I feel I'm getting played with. My hand is very strong, so I 3-bet and get ready to calldown when it's capped.

River: (16.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Or not. I take a couple of seconds to think. If he really has a hand, then the second ace gave him a lower full house and he'll give me all the action I want. If he was playing with me, he'll fold to a bet with the second ace showing and bluff on the end (I hope) when checked to. I check to him and get just the action I was looking for.

Final Pot: 24.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 24.75 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

Did I put myself at too much risk with the turn and river play, or did I do the right thing?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: AJ with 2 pair on flop

Seems like the button has a 5 or slowplaying JJ, the river cap is nice since not many hands have you beat.

-Sent
Old 07-23-2004, 10:37 PM

I'm going to be very specific and put the button on exactly AK.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be very specific and put the button on exactly AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right that that's the most likely hand. I think a distant second most likely (odds-wise) is JJ. When the second 5 comes out, AK, who figures to have the best hand, decides to make a play. I 3-bet him back and CO folds, which is what he wanted anyway. I wouldn't have open-raised with a 5 in my hand, so he caps for value. Maybe he's worried I have AJ or JJ, but he's aggressive, and his odds are good. When he fills up on the river, he has little left to fear and boldly plays into the trap.

Unfortunately, (edit: well, unfortunately for the analysis, extremely fortunately for ME) that's not what he had. He didn't have JJ, either.

Q5o.

Yes, Q5o.

I love the micros.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q5o

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my second guess.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 PM

I've revised the hand playback from the standpoint of the fish, with commentary added.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

This pot is getting pretty big. I'd like to win it! I'm on the button, which is the best spot, and I have a queen, so calling is a no-brainer.

Flop: (12.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

On the flop, not only do I have a pair with a high kicker, I almost have a straight. My chances are pretty good, so I have to call.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Yes, now I'm going to win! This idiot is even raising me back! What an ass-tard! I might even get my straight still and even beat him better.

River: (16.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Oh, yeah! I have a full house! I'm unbeatable! This is going to be the biggest pot I've won all night!

Final Pot: 24.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 24.75 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font>

Insert lots of cursing and complaining about how you always get "sucked out" on the river by bad players who should have known better than to call your raises in the first place.