Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Getting Laggy with 78s

After being on a brutal streak of bad beats for a while, I've been trying to dig myself out of weak-tightdom. This one was pretty LAGgy, though.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

The table had been very loose-passive to this point, and I was feeling gambly, so here we go... Oops.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

My prospects aren't wonderful, but I can get away from the hand easily on the turn if I don't like it, and I want MP2 to leave now.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

This I like better, so I keep pushing until MP3 tells me to stop.

River: (9.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

I'm confident he's going to bet, but I'm not sure if he'll raise me again, so I go for the fancy play.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.75 BB, between MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7s 8s (flush, ace high).
MP3 shows Ad Tc (two pair, aces and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB. </font>

Good, bad or ugly?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Getting Laggy with 78s

Sorry, have to label this one as ugly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Don't play this UTG. The lowest suited connector that I play UTG is JTs.

On the flop, I think this is an easy check/fold with bottom pair and backdoor straight possibility.

It worked out for you though, but most times, it won't.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:03 PM

Ugly.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Hi tardigrade,

Your logic is just pretty abysmal throughout this hand. It's good that you are trying to be more aggressive, but blind aggression will get you to NoBankrollville pretty fast. Let's break'er down piece by piece.

Pre-Flop, this is a fold UTG in all but the softest of games for me. And lemme tell ya about how often those types of games come around... I can't remember the last time I ran this hand, or any one similiar to it, UTG.

The Flop check-raise and the ensuing logic is probably the worst part of the hand. Why do you want MP2 out? You have bottom pair. If anything, you want MP2 in, so that when you hit 2 pair or 3 of a kind, you have someone there to pay you off. Check-call the Flop. I mean, what are you doing messing around with the pre-Flop raiser anyways? Unless you know him very well, and know that he'll release an underpair to the Ace easily, then you shouldn't be dicking with him.

Having check-raised the Flop, the Turn bet is fine I suppose, but why did you want to check-raise the River? Why were you so sure he would bet? Because he had top pair? If that's your read of him, then again I have to question the Flop check-raise.

Pretty bad through and through.

-Brian
Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I think this is an easy check/fold with bottom pair and backdoor straight possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the pot odds again. This is an easy check/call.

But yeah, fold preflop.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 PM

What Brian said.