Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Are you winning? Are you ahead?

Two ways to approach this:

1)Tell them to f*** off. Hopefully, you are not playing to prove yourself to anyone, including yourself. If they have a knack for asking during a downswing, then tell them overall, if it really matters to you. Or just tell them how much you're down, and be "proud" about it.

2)Make up some random phrase that is somehow sports-related, or not at all. Begin the sentence with "Down/up a little(whichever it is), but you know...(insert nonsense phrase here). Suggested: strikes and gutters, birdies and bogeys, hits and misses.

Example 1:

Roommate: Are you winning?
You: Down a little, but, you know...strikes and gutters.

Example 2:

You: Up a little, but you know, sometimes you just hit home runs.

Bonus points if you can say a nonsense phrase and make it seem like an old saying.

Example 1:

You: Down a little, but you know...it's not the lure you use, it's the way the fish jump into the boat.

You: Up a little...seems like the honey's in the picnic basket today.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 AM

When I have a losing session and my gf asks me if I won anything I usually just say something along the lines of "I finished about even after bonuses".

She gets the idea that not every session can be a winning session, but at the same time doesn't get worried that I am "losing money" at poker.

Saying something along this line with your friends would be good. They will realize why you don't necessarily have a huge grin on your face, but at the same time won't think that you don't know what your doing.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Tell them, Yeah, I'm up/down ten bucks, but that's nothing compared to the 200 i paid your mom last night. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
momma jokes are cool.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM

For someone who used to play .5/1 less than a year ago, telling people that I'm down $2000 over the past 2 weeks is enjoyable for me. For some reason, I see it as a chance to brag.

Them: How's poker going.
Me: I'm down $2000 since 2 weeks ago.
Them: Oh my god. Why do you play?
Me: I'm up $6000 since February?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I can tell by the look on their face they think I suck because Im down, and Im always down when they ask. Going through this on a regular basis is really starting to irritate me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares what they think?

When my wife asks me how I'm doing, I tell her the exact dollar amount that I'm up or down during that session. I feel no need to hide anything about my performance.

If you feel yourself having to "hide your losses" from your roommates, you may not be a winning player. Either that, or your roommates are dickheads who are just trying to annoy you.