Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Feeling lost with A9s

No individual reads on people. Just your average loose Party table I guess.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

What to do on this flop? In retrospect MP2 did raise preflop. But I decided to bet out anyway...then I got burned with the raise, and I started to feel very lost.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Check and call mode.

River: (9.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

That 9 gave me a glimmer of hope. Though I checked first? Then the villain bets, and I raised him? Something very wrong here, I messed up big time I think. Ooh, I was so lost.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
Old 06-19-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Feeling lost with A9s

A9 suited UTG, questionable wether you should be in this hand. Since you did call the PF raise and then hit TP on the turn, but with a mediocre kicker, the rest is again questionable it's not unlikely that your A9 is dominated until the river, but MP2 could've just been playing the hell out of a PP. as far as the C/R on the river, you probably shouldn't have been there, but since you hit you're two pair, the only thing that beats at this point is pocket A's. I think, since you were there, C/R wasn't that bad a play, but then again I am a big fan of C/R. It was entirely possible that mp2 could've been betting KK, but by the "oh so lost" tone of your post, I'm assuming not.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:34 PM

i think that i might fold to the turn bet.
he either has you outkicked, or the flush draw.

maybe call the turn, in any case i would check raise the river just like you did.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Preflop is fine.

I'd go for a flop check-raise with my top pair hand to try to get it heads-up, rather than betting out like you did.

Given your flop play, you should lead the river, since it's now very likely that you have the best hand and you'd prefer to get UTG+1 to call as well rather than facing him with 2 cold. Assuming villain raises, I'm just calling here since I don't think AK stays this aggressive.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:41 PM

Checkraise the flop, go from there.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:42 PM

I would play it like this: CR flop to protect your hand against UTG+1 since MP2 will surely bet. If MP2 doesn't raise and it's HU on turn I would check/call and bet the river. Check/call to avoid being raised by AK and make KK-TT bet behind. WA/WB with a twist because it's not HU.
The line CR flop and check/call turn is very confusing for your opponent. You will induce bets from worse hands on turn and they will call out of curiousity on the river. I used it alot today.

On the river you should cap. The only hand MP2 could have that beats you is AA. AK is much more likely.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise the flop, go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...yes, YES! I was thinking about doing this, but again, I had a very hard time with this flop, and ended up betting out (wrong move). I'll remember to try this next time. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:43 PM

I like it up to the river, except instead of CRing I just lead out. Two reasons for this - UTG+1 would much more likely come along for 1 bet rather than 2 cold, which means you make another 2 BB when you are best. Also, if MP2 likes his hand enough to raise you, you can make the crying call having only spent 2 BB instead of the 3 you used check raising (on top of having a possible overlay from UTG+1)
Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Here is a link to another thread on the same subject. These gusy reference some actual stats, maybe this would be more help.

click here
Old 06-19-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link to another thread on the same subject. These gusy reference some actual stats, maybe this would be more help.

click here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thanks. I did read that thread, good stuff in there. I checked my own stats on A9s and it could be a lot worse. At least I am plus (+0.77 BB/100). Admittedly this seems a very difficult hand to play but my sense from the other thread is that I should like my top pair more than hate it.