Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 AM

Default I\'m drunk.....

I've read the books, I've played 7CS for a while (B@M and online) and I win at a good rate - WHEN I'M SOBER - my question is open, what tempts a good player to open up the Paradise window on a night like this?, (late, no girl, bored as sh**) Not even positive what I'm asking - I wish I kept statistics, but I know I REALLY cut into my profits when I play with only a couple of drinks. I'm only posting to limit the amount of time I play tonight... At B&M's, only waters, but it's just so easy from home. Any advice???

PS - Thanks Lorinda, Granny, and the rest, your advice does not go unappreciated - although, I am a bit drunk tonight so maybe I'm throwing out all the love while I'm feeling it...

MAC
Old 01-29-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: I\'m drunk.....

Nothing wrong with having a drink to unwind and playing a little poker at the same time. Just play at a small enough limit that the lost won't bother you. Don't over do on the drinking. My limit is usually one or two depending on what I'm drinking. Playing "relaxed" some times is good for my game; playing "drunk" leaves me wondering what happened to the $150 I bought into the .50-1 with.

Side note: I play mostly HE which doesn't require remembering what cards have been played like 7 stud does.

So, if poker isn't considered a source of income or your occupation, I see nothing wrong with being a recreational player. I look at it as entertainment with a potential financial profit.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:26 PM

hahahahha i have the same problem. Im home, im bored i think to myself; "Why not play poker to pass the time. Might as well and have a drink (or 8) to 'relax' while playing. Oh look some of my friends came over, lets spark an L." Next thing im playing no-limit losing all (if any) profits as well as initial deposit. My results: No Self Control (drinking, etc) + No-Limit = No Money
I try to stick to one or the other now. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 11:39 PM

Nothing at all to worry about. Have another drink . . . .
Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM

I gave my advice in a previous posting. Coming back to respond to what drives a player to play when they are drunk.

There are stage of drunkenness: buzzed, drunk, and blitzed.

Buzzed is the stage where you realize you're slightly inebriated and still have most of your wits about you. You'll be playing a slightly smaller game than you would normally (if you've got your ego in check).

Drunk is when you start to lose your rational though. You begin to feel invincible. You'll think you're the best player at the table if not in the entire world.

Blitzed is when you've totally lost it. You begin to do whatever it takes to win the pot. You'll raise with hopeful and hopeless hands. All you want to do is take down the pot so you can see the pretty fireworks or special effects for winning the pot.

Each of these stages has it's own draw to bring you into the game. But ultimately each person has an underlying reason to play, in general. And that desire, be it social interaction, financial gain, or the rush that comes from playing, is heightened by alcohol.

Just my thoughts or ramblings