Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Slowrolling

So I was at a friendly home game i play at 2x a week yesterday, and I encountered someone slowrolling... accidentally. Anyways, it was a 4 heart board by the time the river was dealt so you only needed one heart to make the flush, and one guy shows trips.... as he shows he asks, "Do you have the flush" he responds "no" I was busted by now and he had been showing me his cards when he got em and I knew he had the flush... he had QJ offsuit diamond/heart. So when he said this i told him to flip his cards, because he did indeed have the flush. Guy with trips got really angry bla bla bla and left pissed. We found out a hand or 2 later that he had taken his glasses off and he said he didnt intentionally do it. What made me mad was the guy with trips inquired to me "Don't I get the pot?" And actually thought because he said he didnt have the flush that he doesnt get the pot, he wasnted the guy with the flush's hand declared dead even though it was nowhere near the muck. WWYD?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Slowrolling

one head to a hand. if that guy can't properly read his hand it's his fault. had you not said anything he would have folded and the trips man would have gotten the pot.

but, since it wasn't technically a "fold", the hand was still live and he only needed to show his hand to claim the pot.

the guy who lost has the right to be upset with you since you cost him the pot, but since it was a friendly game it should be no biggie.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 PM

I think the one solid rule in this situation is to keep your mouth shut and mind your own business.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was busted by now ...

WDYT ?

I think you need to make a habit of bringing enough money to this game so as to never tap out.

- As to the other thing . . .

You did nothing wrong. I agree with the "keep your mouth shut" advice but there is a big difference between being inappropriate and being wrong.

You were the former; you were not wrong.

Tell the warm-hearted fellow who stormed out when he wasn't given the pot (hahaha) that even in a cardroom (at least all I've ever been in) the flush would have won that pot.

There are a few rooms that would have killed his hand if he had made on overt gesture of surrender that induced his opponent to muck - somewhat akin to the (seldom enforced) rule designed to punish anyone who overcalls his hand - but this was not the case here.

Tell "flushy" to keep his glasses on in the future.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was busted by now ...

WDYT ?

I think you need to make a habit of bringing enough money to this game so as to never tap out.

- As to the other thing . . .

You did nothing wrong. I agree with the "keep your mouth shut" advice but there is a big difference between being inappropriate and being wrong.

You were the former; you were not wrong.

Tell the warm-hearted fellow who stormed out when he wasn't given the pot (hahaha) that even in a cardroom (at least all I've ever been in) the flush would have won that pot.

There are a few rooms that would have killed his hand if he had made on overt gesture of surrender that induced his opponent to muck - somewhat akin to the (seldom enforced) rule designed to punish anyone who overcalls his hand - but this was not the case here.

Tell "flushy" to keep his glasses on in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats bull . . telling this guy he did nothing wrong. he violated a basic RULE of poker "ONE PLAYER TO A HAND". This isn't just bad ettiquette it is against the rules.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55 PM

You handled it like you should have, though the fact that you were out of the tournament makes it a little sticky.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Cards speak for themselves. Make it a written rule.....but you have to show them for them to do that.... I believe all home games should play this way.

Also, were I that guy - I might not like you pointing out his hand to him. Its one thing if hes letting you peek....but it MUST BE only ONE player to a a hand. You can't help him with the hand dude.

Honestly? IF he mucks - he loses....
If hes at all unsure....encourage him to show his cards to everyone so that they can speak for themselves.

I'm glad the best hand won, but I don't know if you should interefere with the hand in the middle of it .... PAST just encouraging him to table his cards.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If hes at all unsure....encourage him to show his cards to everyone so that they can speak for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]This is good advice if you're being a friendly observer AND HAVEN"T SEEN HIS FLUSH. The fact that he showed you his cards and THAT'S why you gave him advice is really poor. It's blatantly inappropriate to say ANYTHING after he lets you sweat him. Duh.

I agree that cards speak. However, observers shouldn't.
-Sam
Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is good advice if you're being a friendly observer AND HAVEN"T SEEN HIS FLUSH. The fact that he showed you his cards and THAT'S why you gave him advice is really poor. It's blatantly inappropriate to say ANYTHING after he lets you sweat him. Duh.

I agree that cards speak. However, observers shouldn't.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

<<pats self on back>>
<<wipes tear from eye>>
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 PM

1. Cards speak, the flush wins.

2. One person to a hand. Im my home games the penalty for showing a hand to an observer is a dead hand. I'd suggest instituting a similar rule.