Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 AM

Default What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

I just can't get my mind around the last hand at the WSOP. I forget the exact betting sequence (I'm liable to get it wrong here, so please correct me) but I remember that Hachem called a PFR from the BB with 7-3 off suit. The flop came 4-5-6, with two diamonds. Dannenman bet out like $500,000 with A-3 off suit, and Hachem raised $1 million more. Dannenman called, and the turn came an ace. Dannenman bet out, and Hachem came big over the top of him (I don't remember if that would put Dannenman all in or not, but he went all in shortly thereafter).

Now what in the world could Dannenman have put Hachem on here that would make him call? Hachem obviously wasn't concerned about the ace, so if he's playing reasonably it seems to me you have to put him on a better ace or a set or think that he flopped the straight, which of course he did. Even a decent ace has Dannenman beat at that point, and the only other thing he's got going is the straight draw, but everything I can see puts him behind in the hand at that point. So what could Dannenman have put Hachem on that would make him go all in like that and risk the whole tournament?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Re: What could Dannenman have put Hachem on in the last hand?

Danneman simply isn't good enough to get away from a hand like that. He could have put him on something dumb like K6, 36, 67 or anything like that. Note this is just what it seems from what I've watched on the WSOP. He is an amateur, so top pair AND a up and down straight draw is too much for him to fold. He probably thinks he either has a better ace or just a draw, and he has outs against either. Once I saw the Ace, I knew that if Hachem moved in, Danneman would definitely call given the way he played the rest of the tournament.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Both players were delirious after 13.5 hours of poker, added to the stress of the tournament, a week of hair-pulling decisions, TV cameras, cheering crowds, and a pile of $7.5 million dumped on the table behind them.

I'm surprised they could even sit upright in their chairs and handle chips, let alone play solid poker. And you're wondering why Dannenmann didn't get away from a hand after turning top pair?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Both players were delirious after 13.5 hours of poker, added to the stress of the tournament, a week of hair-pulling decisions, TV cameras, cheering crowds, and a pile of $7.5 million dumped on the table behind them.

I'm surprised they could even sit upright in their chairs and handle chips, let alone play solid poker. And you're wondering why Dannenmann didn't get away from a hand after turning top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM

He was thinking turning top pair in a heads up match that there was enough of a possibility he was ahead and if not probbaly had alot of outs. He was wrong but that was probably thinking. I didn't see how it went preflop. And not sure if sequence you said was right. Cant rmemebr exactly but it sounded different than way you described. But it is hard to get away from the hand after alot of money goes in then you turn top pair of aces in a headsup match. Although the wsop might be different as they had alot fo chips in relaiton to blinds so maybe he could have. They didnt make it clear size of stack blinds and pot size so hard to say.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:32 AM

I definitely think the long session contributed to the questionable play by Dannenman on the end, but he played great the whole tournament otherwise so good for him.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 AM

I'd add to the long session the fact that this was early on heads up and Hachem had a huge chip lead. It's reasonable to put him on a bluff, and that the aces were good plus the added outs for a straight draw.

Can't fault Dannenmann for not figuring out that Hachem flopped the miracle straight.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Danneman simply isn't good enough to get away from a hand like that. He could have put him on something dumb like K6, 36, 67 or anything like that. Note this is just what it seems from what I've watched on the WSOP. He is an amateur, so top pair AND a up and down straight draw is too much for him to fold. He probably thinks he either has a better ace or just a draw, and he has outs against either. Once I saw the Ace, I knew that if Hachem moved in, Danneman would definitely call given the way he played the rest of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to double up sometime. What the hell is he supposed to wait for? I would have a hard time laying that down myself.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:13 AM

Top pair with a straight draw looks good heads up, plus all the emotion in that room and the long hours of play.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM

I don't know what he put Hachem on but I put Dannenman on $4.5 million already in his pocket and very little sleep.