Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Default \"New\" Strategy for Push/Fold Poker

Thought this would be of interest to STT:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post3944027
Old 11-15-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: \"New\" Strategy for Push/Fold Poker

Pretty interesting stuff, bump.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 PM

There are threads about pushing/calling ranges where no one can have any advantage over you.

Assigning a value to each card seems like a gimmick that is pretty pointless since we already have hand rankings for all possible starting hands.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assigning a value to each card seems like a gimmick that is pretty pointless since we already have hand rankings for all possible starting hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I admit that I haven't studied his stuff in detail, but at a glance it seems unnecessarily complex.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are threads about pushing/calling ranges where no one can have any advantage over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the system quite interesting... Do you have those posts bookmarked? I tried searching for it but it's a rather vague subject, I'm coming up w/ too many results.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 PM

So how would you compare this [censored] to ICM? Are they alike in anyway?

I don't know much about it, but that hand he gave an example of w/ SB - 33, and BB - J4s, and the BB should be calling becuase of the ratio of R (BB stack) to the BB (t1000) was such a $hitty example.

Im gonna check it out w/ smaller blinds.

BTW: Is it only for heads up play?
Old 11-15-2005, 07:33 PM

I think its interesting and Im looking forward to looking into it whenever they publish it but the STT forum already has a great way of playing push/fold poker and are very succesful at it. I think the assigning numbers to cards is pointless but I guess Ill have to wait exactly what the system is.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:36 PM

No, but it was a few months ago. Basically if someone push top 58% of hands with blinds of 300/600 or something that like that HU the best counter strategy will only be breakeven.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is likely just a rehashing of well understood (by some) STTF strategy (not that this isn't worth while as it may find interesting new corner cases or merely be a better explanation of it).

The usefulness of a point system/hand ranking may be minimal for a human player, but may be much more useful for a computer program. Being able to say push all hands over X and fold all hands under Y and puch hands between Y and X m% of the time is easier to figure out and adjust then many other algorithms.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:22 AM

I would have to analyze the system if it is compliant with other HU findings. If it was, it seems to be very easily applicable system because you do not have to memorize hand rankings and %ages. You just have to memorize the formula (easy!) and 14 trigger points (7 for pushing and 7 for calling). All in all very easy and doable for even the memory challenged!