Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu - will you ever win again?

[ QUOTE ]
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel is smart. He saw what Phil Hellmuth was doing in terms of marketing himself and exploring other money making opportunities. You can make much more money through creating and marketing your brand than playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Diversify and make even more millions while poker is white-hot. Then get back to full-time ass kicking.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 AM

It's amazing how little 2+2ers seem to understand varience in poker.

The best NLHE tournament player (whoever that is) could play in a 10k buyin event every single week and not end up winning one for YEARS.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:07 AM

I have never posted this as a response before, but...

This thread is abysmally bad.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM

I have to say, I somewhat agree with the OP, except that his isolation of DN to prove his point is incredibly unfair. Poker has come so far so quickly that we've already reached the point where we start to think about poker similar to how we think about other sports, with superstars who dominate others regularly, in competitions that define their superstars status.

But poker isn't like a mainstream sport. We don't necessarily expect it, but we somehow want to believe that the very best in the game will consistently take down major tournies and have high finishes for years on end, so we can root for them over and over and over and be happy to see our "idols" at the top. When a really good player goes on a heater and wins a few in a short span of time, we want to believe that he/she can continue to do so, and are inevitably disappointed when they start busting out left and right. They don't have the consistency of our superstars in the NFL, NBA, etc., and it annoys us.

Yes, there are poker superstars, but our expectations of what qualifies them as such are impossibly unrealistic. DN is a poker superstar along with countless others, but we need to learn to ratchet down our expectations of them and realize what a great poker career truly consists of.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Deleted - Dids
Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 AM

If Negreanu doent qualify as a "Tournement Poker Superstar" who is?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:13 PM

This thread is really dumb and I'm locking it.

Also: The tone in this thread sucks. If people can't have a discussion without tossing around insults and acting like asses, suspensions and bannings will abound.
Closed Thread