Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: For all the norman chad detractors

I think Norm is the Dennis Miller of poker analysts/color men. They share some similarities:

1) Both are fans of their respective sports
2) Both have beginner-level knowledge
3) Both make more jokes than valuable analysis

Unlike Dennis, whose jokes floated over most of his viewers' heads, Norm's jokes all seem at least 50 years old. And he doesn't have a large variety of them - ex-wives, "I'm a bad poker player", young punks, and Phil Hellmuth make up most of them.

That said, I'm used to him and don't mind his blathering.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:39 PM

NC is hilarious most of the time. He makes the broadcast enjoyable for my girlfriend who knows nada about poker. I think that was the intention.

On a related note: The hardcore 2+2ers that hate the analysis or lack of deep poker knowledge from the announcers on WSOP or WPT are missing the point. Poker on TV is for entertainment purposes only.

This is true for anything on TV (even the news!). Pro sports are he same. This is same reason why wide receivers, RBs, and QBs in football get all the fame and camera time, even though the offensive linemen are the primary reasons for offensive success in the NFL (and they're paid accordingly). The uneducated viewing audience would never know that (nor would they care).

Let's face it, "real" poker is far from entertaining to the masses (sometimes it's not entertaining even to hardcore players).
Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Haha, yeah, I really can't see people paying to see "the Grind". I will agree, he does his job, and that was a great comparison, from him to D Miller. I wondered why I was the only one who got the jokes.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Chad is awesome. I don't think he has beginner level knowledge, I think he makes better comments about stud and omaha than hold'em, he's way better than know is all Michael Konick. "And now Chris, the psychological battle starts between these poker superstars, when the average stack is 3 big blinds we finally get to see who the best player in the world is"
Old 10-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Id rather listen to him then Sexton.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norman Chad is hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]
not quite
[ QUOTE ]
Easily the best poker commentator, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna have to agree.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 PM

I like N.C

He's entertaining and amusing. Maybe if I was at the final table and he made a stupid comment about me then I would change my mind about him. Until that happens I enjoy his wise cracks and I believe he makes the show more enjoyable to watch. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 PM

I actually thought that Chad was funny this week. I usually get sick of the jokes about all the ex-wives, but not this week. That episode with Hellmuth was easily the best episode I've ever seen. When he was giving that 90 year old crap about picking his cards off the table was pretty funny as well.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought that Chad was funny this week. I usually get sick of the jokes about all the ex-wives, but not this week. That episode with Hellmuth was easily the best episode I've ever seen. When he was giving that 90 year old crap about picking his cards off the table was pretty funny as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved his joke about when Hellmuth was roaming around.

"PHIL HELLMUTH REPORT TO THE FEATURED TABLE, PHIL HELLMUTH"

lol.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 PM

norm makes the broadcast entertaining. His humor can get a little old, but once in a while he hits a good one. The poker commentary is pretty good, but most of the people that watch this aren't 2+2ers and dont want to hear 2 hours of technical analysis. And to be honest, the less the average fans know about the game technical part of the game, the better.