Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Best way of boosting a bankroll quickly

i have played cards for about a year now and average 4-5 hours a day online, trying to practice my game and bulid a bankroll a small amount at a time. I start with 100 bucks usually and end up losing it very slowly or cashing out around 100 to 200 bucks at a time. I am about even in money, making my time worthless (and my girlfriend unhappy since it takes up so much time an i have nothing to show for it) i think im a good enough player to make some money online but was wondering as to what the best ways our to go about it. i have mostly been playing ring games and sit n' go's with low buyin mtt's from time to time. i play at .25, .50 NL holdem and anywhere from 5 to 20 dollar stt's .i know i need to stop cashing out and make a big enough bankroll that i can play at stakes where i can make my time worthwhile. i also play at pokerstars where the competition is fairly tough, and im thinking of switching over to party where i hear it it is much softer. any insight on any of this would help.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Best way of boosting a bankroll quickly

Start Here
Old 09-14-2005, 05:48 AM

bonus whoring
Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 AM

Your main problem is not your small bankroll or choice of sites. It is that you are not playing well enough. You have put in enough hours to let your bankroll grow naturally, but it hasn't grown. You are probably not improving your game.

Something should change. Here are some possibilities:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Read the strategy forums. There is a lot of advice, and while not all is good, exposure to multiple perspectives may help you.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Analyze your own hands. Could you have won more, or lost less, or stolen the pot?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Read some books. Getting Started In Hold'em, Harrington On Hold'em Volume 1, Super System, etc. have useful advice on NL strategy.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Move down. Don't be ashamed to play for pennies. Get used to the feeling of winning, and of outplaying your opponents. Try to preserve that as you move back up.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Try limit or SNGs. Maybe your strengths are better suited for another variant of poker. While you might learn to be a winning NL ring game player, you might find it easier to learn to win while playing something else.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Quit poker. You tried, you neither failed nor succeeded, and now poker is a black hole for time and it is annoying your SO. It's ok to move on to something else.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM

Play better!

Buffro
patexashold-em.com
Old 09-14-2005, 10:01 AM

Rob a bank! History tells us that this is the fastest and most efficient way to build a bankroll. Plan B would be to work, but work sucks.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Youre not wasting your time. Playing poker will help you get better. You need to improve, but at worst you are getting better and having fun playing the game. Everybody cant make money, and some even play for (gasp) fun. Enjoy it while you break even, and you may start seeing results.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I'm not a great player by any means so take this as you will.

1. Stop using your CC/bank account to play with money(if you are). Setup a neteller account, it's easy to say you had a break even year, but confirm it and keep your poker money seperate. Pick a starting bankroll(I started with $50 some time ago).

2. Start playing within your means and following some of the bankroll management rules you can find all over this site like playing games you have 150+ blinds for.

3. It's fun to play all the different games available at a poker site, but it will not help your game at all. Changing limit to NL will bring in different people with different skills and you will need to play differently, then mix in different levels and sng/mmt and you are learning something at one table that will hurt you at another. once you pick a game stick with it and keep all your hand histories.

4. Bonus whore like a mad man. Many sites with double your deposit and that means you can lose your money for free. Say you hit bogod on a %100 match you dump in $50 and play a mico table for a few days and lose $50, you just got free lessons. Repeat this and play for free as much as possible some times you might make a little, leave it in your neteller account.

5. Order a debit card from neteller. After some time working the bonus(if you are really a break even player) you will build up some money in your account and now you can use some of that money to get poker tracker and dump all of you hand history in and see how you are doing. From there continue to use the bonuses till you get to a point where they no longer make more than you can multi-tabling you game.

6. Win 10,000,000 and give me some, I helped you!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am about even in money, making my time worthless (and my girlfriend unhappy since it takes up so much time an i have nothing to show for it) i think im a good enough player to make some money online but was wondering as to what the best ways our to go about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of playing 4 hours per day, play 2 hours per day, and spend 2 hours with your girlfriend.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Best way of boosting a bankroll quickly- Bonus Whoring

I understand the idea of bonus whoring, i think. what you are saying to do is log into a site, deposit money so you get the bonus, and once you get the bonus cashout and take the free money..correct? is there any restrictions for people doing this? it's basically like stealing money isn't it? what i would like to do is deposit money at all the different sites, get the bonuses, then cashout and put all that money into my poker bankroll and play at one or two sites? is this possible? is there a limit to how many bonuses you can get at any of the sites? i am using firepay not net teller is that just as good?