Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: i smoke too much

definately, just ask bogey. he'd agree with that too.
and we all know he's the man.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i actually dont smoke in my house. and i wasnt smoking in my car for a while after i bought it.

but you forgot dark/discolored gums.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. Oh, and smelly breath...can't forget that.

I don't mean to rag on you, I just don't understand how people in this day and age can "want" to smoke, knowing all of the serious health risks that you are needlessly exposing yourself (and those around you) to. Being addicted is one thing, but actually wanting to smoke is another. Teenagers smoke because they want to look cool and want to fit in. However, once they become adults, most continue to smoke only because they're addicted and don't have the willpower to shake the habit.

Your statement that you don't actually want to quit is not the norm. From what I've noticed, most smokers would love to be able to quit, they just haven't been able to because the addiction is so strong.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
definately, just ask bogey. he'd agree with that too.
and we all know he's the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, those that think smoking doesn't look cool should really take a look at Bogart and Bacall.

course, Bogey died of cancer. But that's neither here nor there...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:58 PM

its weird because the part that recognizes all the pitfalls you mentioned wants to quit. but then another part still wants to enjoy that cigarette.. i feel like i could see myself cutting back, but have trouble envisioning giving it up forever.

picking up cigarettes was clearly not the best idea.

dont worry about ragging, im just on edge lately.

i feel like if i was in HS or maybe younnger when the truth ad campaigns started, i might have decided against it. but instead i went the other route.

maybe it merely is the addiction that keeps me from seeing myself sand cigarette's. going to bar will never be the same.

(oh and causing me to make statements like that last one too)
Old 09-13-2005, 03:59 PM

the big sleep is one of my favorites.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:02 PM

My answer to every 'I want to quit smoking' thread I see in OOT:

Better living through chemistry.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:04 PM

i thought about prescription meds, but after experiencing the pitfalls of add/adhd medication, i have pretty much shyed away from drugs related to the brain/chemistry in the brain.

actually, this is patently false statement because if someone were to ask if would be down to do shrooms some weekend, i would say yes.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:09 PM

I smoked in High School, too. Mostly because my friends all smoked, and I liked hanging out in the smoking area between classes. What got me to quit was when I was playing floor hockey one day, and we had just enough players to field the team, but no extra so that people could rotate on and off. I started coughing like a madman at some point during the game, and all I could taste was tar and stale cigarettes coming up from my lungs. I felt so wretched and associated the cigarettes with the wretchedness, so the mere thought of smoking a cigarette made me feel nauseous for a long time afterwards. I went through a little withdrawal, but my desire *not* to smoke was greater than my desire to get my nicotine fix.

My friends that I used to smoke with all still smoke to this day. They've all tried to quit, but haven't been able to do it. They smoke because they need to, not because they really enjoy it (with some exceptions). I'm sure that at least one of them will eventually have serious health problems as a result. I'm just thankful that I managed to quit while I was young and had only smoked for a year or so, and not after having smoked for 10 years +.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Have you ever been addicted to anything? There is no distinct line between satisfying the addiction and satisfying your desire. They are one and the same. You enjoy it because you are addicted, it's that simple.

Those that "want" to smoke are just in denial about why they do.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the big sleep is one of my favorites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too, but I'm also a fan of the novel by Raymond Chandler. My favorite Bogart flick of all time tho is the Desperate Hours, it's fun to watch him play a bad guy. But I like him in almost anything.