Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Renting an apartment as a poker player

I've now gotten two apartments in vegas with no job, both from big companies. The first one I just showed them my bank statement and my ameritrade account balance (but i think the former would have been sufficient). The second one wanted a copy of last year's tax returns. The first one I said I didn't have a job, I had just moved here (both of which were true). This second place I said I was self-employed (also true).
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM

it's LA, lots of rich kids and trustafarians, landlords know this. just show them your account balance and tell them you came into some money last year.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Tell him you're a poker player and then show him your Pokertracker database to prove that you're a winning player. You could also show him your exstensive library of 2+2 books and explain to him that you're serious about the game. Oh, and why not show him all your posts on the forum, then he'll have to trust that you're good for the money...

Or maybe you could just give him half a year to a year's rent and he won't give a crap what you do. Unless of course your opportunity cost for the money is really big, then you'll have to get creative.

Luke
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Geormiet and I are looking for a nice apartment in LA. Both of us play poker. Last year we were graduate students. We don't want to tell the landlords we play poker, but we don't want to be disqualified either.

Our plan is just to say that I am a student making 15k and that he is a student/musician making 50k, and going from there.

Anyone have any advice for what our best plan of action is? Do we need to come with bank account statement; will account statements be enough to overcome any questions on the part of the landlord?

Thanks.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you have decent credit, a combination of cash on hand and a claim that you just left school and are "looking for work" should take care of it. Just pick the entry level job category that speaks to you.

If you have crappy credit, you may need a guarantor.

Under no circumstances should you tell them you're a pro poker player.

scrub
Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Dynasty is right, show that you could pay several months rent in advance. It would help if you had money in the bank, I'm not sure a Neteller or Party Poker balance would impress.

Both you guys look like alter boys, and in looking at apartments I'd keep the real clean cut look (although maybe clean cut would make you weird in LA, if so consider the OC).

[/ QUOTE ] All of this is nonsense. Landlords are going to want to see pay stubs, or income tax returns. Paying six months in advance won't help and they are going to do a credit check on ALL occupants of the apartment. In other words, both tennants will have to show PROOF of income. The lanlord tennant laws are so tough these days it's very hard to get someone evicted, and it takes a lot of time and expense, so they like to be sure they have good tennants in there in the first place. They want to be protected, and you can't blame them.

Anyone who got an apartment, especially in California, by any other means just got plain lucky. Being clean cut and acting nice and showing them your bank statement won't get the job done.

You've got to have the goods.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant you didn't like most of the advice, not only mine (BTW, I admit to being more curious than knowlegable).

Question: Isn't Turnipmonster's advice reasonable?

~ Rick
Old 08-24-2005, 01:40 PM

All you gotta say is that you're self employed and have bank statements that show you have lots of cash. Bring them. I assume that you have a decent amount of cash, as any good gambler does. Nothing else is their business, frankly.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM

Default One other thing

If this plan doesn't look good, have them call Gabe and he can tell them you're his personal assistant. Somebody's gotta wash his car and scrub his toilets.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Dynasty is right, show that you could pay several months rent in advance. It would help if you had money in the bank, I'm not sure a Neteller or Party Poker balance would impress.

Both you guys look like alter boys, and in looking at apartments I'd keep the real clean cut look (although maybe clean cut would make you weird in LA, if so consider the OC).

[/ QUOTE ] All of this is nonsense. Landlords are going to want to see pay stubs, or income tax returns. Paying six months in advance won't help and they are going to do a credit check on ALL occupants of the apartment. In other words, both tennants will have to show PROOF of income. The lanlord tennant laws are so tough these days it's very hard to get someone evicted, and it takes a lot of time and expense, so they like to be sure they have good tennants in there in the first place. They want to be protected, and you can't blame them.

Anyone who got an apartment, especially in California, by any other means just got plain lucky. Being clean cut and acting nice and showing them your bank statement won't get the job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

That says more about how incompetent most landlords are than anything else, though.

scrub
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Do not pay up front in cash. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's not even funny. I'm sure you can find an escrow service that would only cost a few points for this. I would rather pay a little if I had to, then pay it all upfront.

I haven't had a credit check for a rental in a while, http://www.residentdata.com/ is much more common these days.