Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Default ipods and Nitdom

Do ipods have a negative effect on table image? Call me crazy, i guess...but tables are generally better for me when i have my ipod off than on. Anyone notice something like this?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: ipods and Nitdom

Maybe b/c you just look like you're there to make money and not have fun, be part of the table cameraderie, etc. I love my IPOD, but never use it at the poker table. I think it can hurt your action AND cause you to miss valuable information. I don't want "Rocket Man" or whatever to cost me $800 because I miss something.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe b/c you just look like you're there to make money and not have fun, be part of the table cameraderie, etc. I love my IPOD, but never use it at the poker table. I think it can hurt your action AND cause you to miss valuable information. I don't want "Rocket Man" or whatever to cost me $800 because I miss something.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont try to look like im there to take there money. If the table is talkative I keep the ipod off but as soon as things get quiet I pull it out.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:17 PM

another thing that bothers me is when bad players start talking about strategy. Its like, "volume up".

I guess the presense of it could be like ESPN, though. People may see it as what the "pros" do even though its 15-30.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:19 PM

When weak opponents are giving away free information about how they play, I like to listen to it even though it's annoying sometimes.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 PM

When I played live I didn't bring mine because I wanted to be friendly with people. AFter a half hour at most of my tables, I no longer wanted to be friendly with anybody.

Mostly the kid (with the ipod and the wrap arounds) who complained that somebody "disrespected the game" by calling a raise with trash.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who complained that somebody "disrespected the game" by calling a raise with trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are the guys i drowned out.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:40 PM

Anyone wearing headphones at the table is basically saying two things...

1. I'm anti-social and unfriendly, and I don't care about table my image, whether I'm well liked, etc, and I don't care about the effect this might have on my EV either.

2. I don't care to take advantage of everything being said at the table; I'd rather stay in the dark as far as the conversation goes.

Leave the friggin' headphones at home if you have any sense.

al
Old 09-23-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone wearing headphones at the table is basically saying two things...

1. I'm anti-social and unfriendly, and I don't care about table my image, whether I'm well liked, etc, and I don't care about the effect this might have on my EV either.

2. I don't care to take advantage of everything being said at the table; I'd rather stay in the dark as far as the conversation goes.

Leave the friggin' headphones at home if you have any sense.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this holds true for everyone. I have only played live three times, and I wore earbuds for 2/3 times. I was always friendly and talkative at the table...music just helps to pass the time and keep me interested.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 PM

I agree with Jeff and Al. One of the things that live play brings is the information that you are able to retrieve, without any effort whatsoever. Things such as one player telling another player what they folded, if the flop is paired and some guy cringes and mumbles that he tossed that card, or even general strategy discussions. This helps you get a better read on how the others play.

Now, there is nothing wrong with listening to your Ipod as far as your image is concerned. Do it if you want to, don't worry about the anti-social factor. Worry more about the abundant information that you are missing.