Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Just became atheist, now what?

[ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure about the rest, but I like the sound of the roulette wheel with no greens [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I at a pantomime?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:54 PM

You are suffering from a misconception. Atheists can celebrate any holiday we want to. I've been an affirmed atheist since I was 20, I'm 53 now. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I consider Jesus to have been a great man.

A few years ago I was active in a wicca group, they have lot's of holidays. Being an atheist was okay with the leader of the group.

I am still interested in religion, and for several years was very active ( on the board, planned Sunday services, presented programs, taught children's and adult RE classes) in the local Unitarian Universalist [UU] church. The [UU] has many atheist members. They also have agnostics, christians, pagans and new agers, etc. I do plan on going back and becoming active again. [edit:] In fact, one of the programs I presented during a Sunday service was titled: "The Joys of Atheism and Agnosticism."

PS: I think your post is funny, but thought I might as well make a serious reply.

PS: I do hope you are an atheist, and making the rest up for humorous effect.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
6)Atheistically speaking, now, what is the point of evolution? And who cares anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

As Graham Greene said “God created a number of possibilities in case some of his prototypes failed. That is the meaning of evolution".
So you are absolutely right. No God no meaning of evolution

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Sorry for all the comma errors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? You are an atheist now.

What about becoming a polyatheist. There are so many religions...

[/ QUOTE ]

There never has been a "point (to) evolution", it is just the way things work. That's one of the reasons many fundamentalists don't want it to be the correct explanation of the development of life on earth.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

PairTheBoard
Old 08-04-2005, 08:32 PM

I understand that there is no “point” to evolution so far as we know. But there are reasons that beings evolve into their present state - mostly survival type reasons I would imagine. ( I don’t really know much about it.)

So questions like the following are interesting if nothing else:

Why did we evolve into out present status? Why don’t we have 3 arms or what ever?
Why do we need to evolve further assuming evolution never stops?
What will be the next major step in our evolution?
Is our evolution from this point forward more in the area of intelligence than the physical?
Now that we are “intelligent” beings, do we have any control over the path our own evolution takes? In other words, can we direct our own evolution?

Regarding holidays, I certainly will continue to take the days off work with pay.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

Fixed your post.

There! Everywhere!

FYP

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-05-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

God doesn't need to exist for man to have a conscience. The conscience could have developed over time for the reasons David pointed out in his post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. The conscience is a product of evolution, therefore meaningless, therefore ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so hung up on existence having an ultimate meaning? What if the ultimate meaning is beyond our comprehension, so much so that it is essentially "meaningless" to even consider it? Regardless of how you answer that last question, your insistence that existence must have an ultimate meaning is the most troubling aspect of all of your beliefs in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM

"Regardless of how you answer that last question, your insistence that existence must have an ultimate meaning is the most troubling aspect of all of your beliefs in my opinion."

What are you talking about? He never said that. Don't you be misquoting my buddy Not Ready.