Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Anyone know anything about art?

you are a genius sir. pure genius.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:22 PM

I'll take a shot at a more helpful reply...

Honestly, buy what you like. Art does make for a fairly poor investment, just because what is in or out fluctuates on people's taste and what stays "in" is expensive stuff. If you don't like art, really, don't buy it; if you do, buy what you like.

That said, a couple of other options --

Prints. Not like cheap poster reproductions, but as in signed lithographs, etchings, etc. Big names will still run through your money quick, but if you did want a big name you could do it. I bought a couple of prints a while back through the cheesily-named www.rareart.com ... They do auctions, mostly doing lesser-known artists and prints of known. I bought a signed Dali for about $600, just to give you some example. However, Dalis are supposedly really common, as he signed a ton of art later in his life, so this price may not be indicative. They've had Picassos sub-5K, but like I said prints and etchings and not necessarily signed.

Check out Joan Miro, by the way. I love that guy's stuff, and smaller pieces are affordable.

Also, consider travelling. If a "name" is not what's important, you can find very talented artists working in S. America. I bought a couple of paintings I love down there, at prices well below what they'd be here. Language skills and bargainning might be needed, but hypothetically for $5,000 you could spend two weeks in a few cities talking to artists and come back with more works than would be possible here. Back when the Ecuadorian economy was -really- crapped out (as opposed to today, when it's only slightly less-so) I bought a oil painting for $100 that measures about 4-foot by 3-foot. I had to cut it off the frame and have to reframed here, but even then it's a value and I love that painting. I actually bought it on the street from a guy showing his work, and probably could have gotten it for less if I didn't look so damn transluscent.

Just some thoughts. Also, consider supporting local artists in your area. In D.C. there are a couple of guys I like, and here you have the benefit of being able to sit down and talk to them, get to know them, let them help you find stuff you like.

Hopefully that helps some. The important thing is to make sure you're buying it for you though, satisfying whatever reasons you have. If you just want to gamble on it increasing in value, I'd honestly stick to poker or get much better advice than I can give you.

ElSapo
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 PM

buy a painting of a hippopotamus. i hear their value's are on the rise.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the support. I started the site recently and it keeps changing. I've lately been adding new images daily, which is forcing me to keep shooting... Anyways, thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the response, do you think it is better to purchase a print or a painting as a first time buy?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.

[ QUOTE ]
you are a genius sir. pure genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I didn't do the photoshopping though. It's from this thread, for all who missed it.