Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Easy Way To Calculate Blind Defense?

Hi, I've heard that you can defend your small blind in 08 by not calling with a hand that you wouldn't call with on the button. Okay, that's easy.

But is there a quick rule-of-thumb to do the same with your Big Blind when facing a raise?

Assume a loose 08, typical of lower limits, with 4-5 players on most flops.

I've heard that no hand is much more than a 60% - 40% underdawg, but I think that's assuming heads up. I think I've been overcalling on my Blind defense, only to have to fold unless the flop hits me really hard. I have a feeling I really have to tighten up on my Blind defense--perhaps playing a hand 2-4-Q-Q, if they're single-suited as minimal requirements.

I've seen Cappelliti's point system for Big Blind defense, but he assumes it's Head to Head. This is totally different than the situation I often face with a herd of players some of whom probably have A-2, A-3, 2-3, or 4 high cards.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Easy Way To Calculate Blind Defense?

If you are using PTO you can filter to show all the times you have completed in the SB. Compare that to the amount you would have lost had you folded and you can figure out if you are completing too much.

I think you can even filter to show times you called a raise from the SB.