Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 03:14 AM

Default Angle Shooter + Poor Dealer = Clark breaks a rule

Still teaching the girlfriend to play holdem and she is still pretty unsure of herself. We went to a place with 4-8 only because it was close to her house and convenient. Tonight, the following hand took place and circumstances after the hand caused me to knowingly violate the "One player to a hand" rule.

Its a kill pot. Angle Shooter (AS) is the killer. He has been doing things like bringing his chips all the way forward, hitching like a bet, then checking when his opponent started to call. He also liked to wait a long time to goad the person after him into acting. Liked to wave his hand in the air, indicating check, then saying "I never checked". Things like this. Combine that with the fact that he was trying to bully the table, and I really started to dislike this cat. I outbullied him on a few hands, but my girlfriend didn't know how to counter his aggressive strategy.

Anyways, 4 players including my girlfriend see the flop of Ks 9d 6d. Angle Shooter bets, Girlfriend calls, Guy Falling Asleep (GFA) calls. 3 to the turn. Turn is Kd, checked around. River is 9s. Checked around.

Final board: Ks 9d 6d Kd 9s.

This house has a (usually) well enforced rule. First position shows first. Angle shooter stalls for almost a whole minute before someone (not the dealer) says "cmon, just show". He flips over 6h2h. He is playing the board. He (purposely) misstates his hand saying "I've got two pair, Kings and sixes".

The dealer doesn't correct him and now looks at my girlfriend. She is looking at the board and seems unsure of what to do. It is her turn to act and I look her right in the eye and sternly say "Flip over your cards now honey" (I had no clue what her hand was, but I knew she HAD to be able to beat 6 high). She then flips over AsTs. GFA now mucks, Angle Shooter throws a fit and the dealer pushes my girlfriend the pot.

I don't feel good about it, but I'll be damned if someone's gonna angle shoot my girlfriend and get away with it. In hindsight I wish I had talked to the shift manager about the dealers action, but at least she got the pot. In the end, it made me realize that I need to work with her some more before I let her play in a 4-8 game. I made sure we left when her blind reached her.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Angle Shooter + Poor Dealer = Clark breaks a r

just tell her, when in ANY doubt, flip your cards. fell a stall comin on..not sure...flip em. i flip em whether its my turn or not at times. then if i wanna see a guys hand ill ask for it.

that was a minor infraction in my book. i see this quite a bit on LL...people telling a newbie to show at showdown...

it's checked around on the river....its not like your telling her to call a bet. *there wasnt a bet* screw that moron.

if it was my g/f, or a friend who i know is learning, id probably say the same thing.

b
Old 04-29-2002, 09:18 AM

Default Re: dont think thats 1 player to hand *NM*

Old 04-29-2002, 09:24 AM

Default I don\'t get it: Was Clark a player as well? *NM*

Old 04-29-2002, 09:38 AM

Default hey, blood is thicker than water...

right? maybe you'd feel better if you had just said to her, "showdown honey, cards speak, turn em over...if you broke a rule to protect your own, well, you wouldn't be the first...

i am glad you didn't speak to the floor though about the dealer, thou. i mean he did push the pot to the winner, right? while it's true if he calls the shooters hand correctly, maybe she figures it out on her own, but maybe not as well. HE can't tell her to turn her cards over though, but he did let YOU do it.

some may argue keeping quiet and maybe letting her lose the pot may be a better lesson for her in the long run...but of course painful to watch and tough on the household finances
Old 04-29-2002, 10:06 AM

Vigilante justice is part of the poker landscape. I think you were in line.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:30 AM

Default Re: I don\'t get it: Was Clark a player as well?

hmm. i assumed he was in the game as well. if he wasnt then it was a borderline transgression imho.

brad
Old 04-29-2002, 11:36 AM

Default I Agree with Tommy

I'm assuming you were playing. I certainly think you were in your rights to correct "angle shooter" and state that it was K's and 9's with a 6 kicker when he misdeclares his hand and call attention to the fact that he was doing so.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:37 PM

I have NO problem with what you did, ESPECIALLY with that goof playing games...

... and I'm not sure whether this really violates the OPTAH rule, since you only told her to flip her cards, not bet or anything else.

Stuff the guy..
Old 04-29-2002, 12:59 PM

Default I was in the game. She was 7 seat, I was 10. *NM*