Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 10:49 AM

Default Re: This thread was not about David Sklansky.

Dave in Cali wrote:

"If Dave is playing well, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone had the WRONG IMPRESSION OF HIS PLAY. Perhaps the session where this individual got his opinion of Dave saw Dave getting far fewer than normal "good hands" dealt to him. Or maybe he missed the flop more than often and had to fold more. Well, maybe this player then concluded that Dave was easy to read. Obviously Dave must be weak-tight. He's tight, that's pretty clear, but he's weak because he never really did anything spectacular, never made any good plays"

A very interesting observation. What does this tell us about our own opponent reading? Can we base our opinions on our first impressions? What if a buddy were to tell us that an opponent is weak tight. Could we base our play on his opinion. What if we played against this opponent that was pointed out by our buddy and found him loose? How would we play the opponent? It is clear that sometimes our perceptions are sometimes influenced guided my misinformation. In the case of the fellow I was talking about I believe he may have been trying to build his own stature at the table. He was winning and feeling his oats. Everyone knew he was winning. He may have exaggerated a bit about David to impress us less than experts at the table. I have thought about this a bit since posting and conclude that the dummy at the table was not him. It was me for taking him seriously. Sometimes my ass overloads my mouth and I spew a lot of unnecessary bull. Case closed.

Vince