Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 06-05-2005, 02:26 AM

Default General strategy for 2 pair on an uncoordinated flop

My last few buy-ins have been lost playing top 2 pair with no straight or flush possibilities strong at the flop. I keep running into sets. Should I stop betting the pot in these situations? Should I think twice when someone else reraises me the pot? It's so hard to fold 2 pair when the flop isn't scary.

Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: General strategy for 2 pair on an uncoordinated flop

It depends on your opponents and the nature of that particular game at that moment in time. If I flop a stronger top two and I will pot or repot it most of the time barring a coordinated board or a very tight player. Against some of the uber-loose donks you see at the PS $50, $100 and $200 BI games, I will go down to the felt with TTP on the flop if I can get it all in. Against a rockish opponent, I would often fold even a very very good two pair against a modest flop bet.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:08 AM

I guess that means I'll have to start putting reads on players myself. Pokertracker has spoiled me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 01:56 PM

I actually prefer making TTP moves while either a flush or straight is possible, but not both, and only when i have the last position (that way i can check the river incase I'm being called down by a low set). A top set (and often middle set) will tell you immediately, via a pot raise, of his holdings, but a lone flush draw or two will chase you down with a 35% or less chance of hitting. Generally low stakes online PLO players are not savvy/tricky enough to raise pot on a flush draw or straight draw.

Needless to say, when you boat up and their draw also connects, you double up or more. Flush card hits, which it will 35% of the time, you simply check fold, but can often showdown if he tries to trap check you on the river.

-Matt
Old 06-06-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually prefer making TTP moves while either a flush or straight is possible, but not both, and only when i have the last position (that way i can check the river incase I'm being called down by a low set). A top set (and often middle set) will tell you immediately, via a pot raise, of his holdings, but a lone flush draw or two will chase you down with a 35% or less chance of hitting. Generally low stakes online PLO players are not savvy/tricky enough to raise pot on a flush draw or straight draw.

Needless to say, when you boat up and their draw also connects, you double up or more. Flush card hits, which it will 35% of the time, you simply check fold, but can often showdown if he tries to trap check you on the river.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's so hard to fold 2 pair when the flop isn't scary. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what should scream set to you.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's so hard to fold 2 pair when the flop isn't scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the more draws that are out there the harder it is to fold it. Think about it. If there are a lot of draws out there than you are a favorite over draws and so you welcome action from them. If the board is very dry and drawless, then think about the hands that will give you action. They tend to be sets.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 PM

Problem is the draws can be favorites or at least not big dogs vs your 2 pair. I think 2 pair is more likely to be profitable on less draw heavy boards, but even then it is the kind of hand that you are not going to make a ton of money with.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Basic Beginners Strategy:
Bet and fold to a raise

Fold if bet into except with top two pair, then raise and fold to a reraise.

Any two pair becomes bigger if there has been a preflop raise, especially if you heads up against the raiser and no Ace or King comes off.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:22 PM

This is where the most money is made with two pair, snapping off AAxx