Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 05-04-2002, 07:39 PM

Default The Luxor??

I am planning a poker trip to Vegas in the next few months, and I am wondering where would be the best place to stay. I plan on playing low limit(3/6,4/8,5/10), and I want to get in as much tournament play as possible. I was looking on Poker Pages, and it looks like there is plenty of what I'm looking for at the Luxor. Any opinion on poker there? Would there be some other place that might be better that I'm missing? Any other tips would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks,

Fitz

P.S. I do plan on making it to the Mirage to check out the other 2+2'ers in action...lol.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:01 PM

Default Re: The Luxor??

I believe the Luxor regularly spreads both 2/4 and 4/8 Hold'em along with 1-5 stud.

One significant advantage of the Luxor is that they have freeroll tournaments. If you accumulate 10(?) hours of Hold'em play (12? hours of stud within half a week, you get a free entry into a weeknight tournment with something like $600 of prize money. There are four weeknight tournments. The Hold'em tournaments are on either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday (the stud tournaments would be on the other days).

The Luxor also has some afternoon tournaments with an entry fee.

You can also play afternoon tournaments next door at Mandalay Bay. Those tournaments are 30 player max tournaments with about a $25 entry fee. They start at approximately noon time.

Old 05-05-2002, 09:26 AM

Fitz- Mandalay's tournaments are at 10am M-F and they are 25 bucks. Typically, there are 20-30 players and the competition is weak. The room is lovely, but they do allow smoking. Be sure to find the Babe when you arrive. See ya soon.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:26 AM

Default Re: The Luxor?? *NM*

Old 05-05-2002, 11:30 AM

I would check the room rates at the Imperial Palace. Their room rates are very cheap and you are within walking distance to Bellagio,Mirage where they have the best games in town
Old 05-05-2002, 04:49 PM

...Bellagio,Mirage where they have the best games in town

The low limit games at the Bellagio and Mirage are no better than those at the other Strip poker rooms. In fact, Clarkmeister has said he thinks they are a little tougher than the games in the smaller rooms.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:46 AM

Dynasty, any estimation on the size of the field they get for their freerolls? Going to Vegas shortly and thinking about qualifying/playing in one.

Thanks,

KB

Old 05-06-2002, 03:41 PM

I played in two of the stud freeroll tournaments. They were only two table tournaments (14-16 players). I wouldn't expect the Hold'em tournaments to be any bigger.

Old 05-05-2002, 06:40 PM

Thanks for all the help. I do want to stay where I'll be playing most of the time, and since it looks like, due to my back problems, I'll be getting around in my wheelchair, I want some place that is easy to get in and out of. I stayed at the Imperial Palace once, and I was not impressed. We actually had rooms behind the parking garage! Since my girlfriend is coming this trip, I would like one of the nicer places. I'll have to look into Mirage and Bellagio.

Thanks,

Fitz