Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 05-03-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Help me give a name to this playing style

I find that when posting, there is a type of regular in Vegas whom the Tight/Loose description doesn't do justice. Since so many players in this city play very similar to this, I want to know how to describe these people in future posts.

They play a tightish game. Rarely showing down garbage unless on the button. They do however make very loose calls of preflop raises. They can't seem to muck AJo (ever! this hand is a huge money loser for so many Vegas regulars), A9s and KQo to an EP raiser. So they aren't tight.....but they are. They just don't adjust enough against a preflop raiser.

Also, they aren't passive, but they are. They are just aggressive in the obvious spots, and their raise rarely means something other than what it represents. So they are willing to raise, and raise without the nuts (i.e they will raise with top pair top kicker), but rarely raise on a turn semibluff, or with second pair, etc.

What do we call this very typical Vegas player profile? Its like weak-tight-loose-ish.

Help.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:40 PM

Default people who stopped getting better *NM*

Old 05-03-2002, 08:44 PM

Default people who should know better *NM*

Old 05-03-2002, 08:45 PM

Default people who wish they were world class players... *NM*

Old 05-03-2002, 09:22 PM

Default customers *NM*

Old 05-03-2002, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Help me give a name to this playing style

Fools!

RL
Old 05-03-2002, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Help me give a name to this playing style

I wouldn't look too far down my nose at that style. It will outperform most around here.

When I'm playing it, I call it make-a-hand poker. When I'm playing against it, I call it a safe spot.

Tommy
Old 05-03-2002, 10:22 PM

Default How about \"Funnel\" players?

I'm not looking down my nose at it, I'm just trying to get a neat little phrase so that it is easily identifiable in posts. None of our typical words like tight, loose, aggressive and passive really accurately portray these players' style.

The best that I can think of is that they play "Funnel" poker. They outplay the recreational/tourist type players. But their straightforward play, and loose calling of preflop raises slowly takes those profits gained from the recreational players and funnels it to the so called "expert", "winning" and "professional" players.

I suspect you played against more than a few of these "typical" locals during your stay here. I think my portrayal of them is reasonably accurate, don't you?

"Make a hand poker" will always have that one obvious and fatal flaw. Many days, you simply won't.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Re: How about \"Funnel\" players?

Maybe "Middlemen" then. If they play an in between style and transfer the money from worse players to better players it might fit.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:53 AM

Default Re: How about \"Funnel\" players?

Dave- and you think I'M in a GOOFY mood just because I've been laughing for a week? How about "Funnel Cakes"? ROFL!! Sorry, but I found this "funnel player" label funny as hell. When I stop laughing I will read your post again and put on my "Funnel Cap". Babe.